Professional development is essential to career success.
Use these resources to help manage your work responsibilities with ease. Learn new skills and techniques to enhance your career.
- Any.Do (app): Use this to-do list app.
- Mindnode (app): Use this app to visually represent your ideas.
- Project Management Institute: Identify your certification requirements.
- WunderList (app): Use this app to help you organize, plan events, and set reminders.
- *Skillsoft: Take free online courses to help obtain professional certifications. Open to all current JHU students, faculty and staff.
- Business Insider: “12 TedTalks that will Change the Way you Think About your Career”
- Coursera: Take online skill-building courses from prominent universities for free.
- Editing Referral Services: Get assistance editing your research publications. (Fee based service)
- English as a Second Language (ESL): Take non-credit ESL courses to sharpen your communication skills.
- JHU Center for Educational Resources (CER) Teaching Academy: Prepare for teaching careers in higher education. Open to all JHU PhD students and postdocs.
- MindTools: Find a wide range of free skill-building resources.
- The Balance Careers: Use this career planning tool to find articles with professional development advice.
- The Muse: “43 Free Career-Advancing Courses You Can Take (and Actually Finish) This Summer”
- Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Excelsior: Learn about different writing styles. Play games to reinforce your writing skills. Find resources for educators.
- Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue: Find resources for subject-specific and job search writing.
* Note: at present, starred resources are only available to current JHU students with a valid JHED ID.
Watch this TED Talk from Amy Cuddy to better understand the importance of non-verbal communication: