Prepare for Your Job Search
Prepare for your search. Research employers to create a target list or prepare for your interviews with them. Be sure these employers align with your interests and values. Take advantage of career fairs and other ways to meet employers. Build your professional network to ensure you have connections in your career field.
- Brazen: Use this chat event software to connect real-time with potential employers.
- CIO.com: “7 Social Media Mistakes Job Seekers Must Avoid”
- Huffington Post: “Twitter is the Best Job Search Tool You’re Not Using – Here’s How You Can”
- LinkedIn: Create and maintain a profile on the most widely used professional networking platform.
- Purdue Career Center: Discover Your Personal Brand
- PDF Document: LinkedIn: Top 10 Tips and Tricks
Build your network
- Baltimore Network after Work: Join and attend networking events in the Baltimore area.
- PDF Document: Career Fair Participation: Make the most of attending career fairs by using these tips.
- PDF Document: Conversation Cues: Learn tips for how to make a big impact with small talk.
- Gale Directory Library: Under Advanced Search, choose specific directories to locate companies, associations, government agencies, nonprofits and consulting firms by type and region.
- GoHop Online: Connect with JHU alumni globally to network.
- National Trade and Professional Associations of the U.S.: Review the latest edition (2017) to identify trade associations; labor unions; professional, scientific, or technical societies; and national organizations.
- PDF Document: Networking – Making Strategic Connections: Learn how to maximize the impact of your network.
- Vault Online Career Library: Create an account using your JHU email address to access this comprehensive guide to networking.
- BizJournals (Digital Portal): View regional business journals for 40 U.S. markets, and ranked lists of employers in their Book of Lists. The Baltimore and the Washington, D.C. Business Journals can be found here. Contact your librarian for search tips.
- Guide to Using Bloomberg Financial Service: Learn how to use the Bloomberg platform to access news, companies, financial information and industry trends (at designated terminals). View in-depth company profiles. Type PEOPLE for executives’ biographies and searches on alumni.
- Gale Directory Library: Using Advanced Search, explore specific directories to find market share and business rankings, or identify companies, associations, government agencies, nonprofits and consulting firms by type and region.
- Hoover’s Online: Retrieve company profiles for public and private U.S. and global businesses.
- Mergent Intellect: Research industries and create a target list of public and private U.S. and international employers through the company directory or jobs listings database.
- Mergent Online by FTSE Russell: Retrieve extensive profiles and customized reports on public and private U.S. and international companies.
- PrivCo: Access more in-depth, unique intelligence on privately held U.S. and international companies, including deals and funding. (Must create an account using your JHU email address).
- Reference USA: Includes multiple directories and a jobs listing database. Use Advanced Search within the business directory to create a target list of U.S. based companies for your geographies and industries.
- Uniworld Online: Pursuing international opportunities? Determine which American firms have offices in other countries and which foreign firms have offices in the United States.
- Vault Online Career Library: Access employer profiles, industry guides, information about organizational cultures, and company reviews and rankings.
- Vocate Blog: Explore this career search blog to better prepare for future employment opportunities.
Write a cover letter
- PDF Document: Cover Letter Checklist: Make sure you have included all necessary elements in your cover letter.
- PDF Document: How to Write an Effective Cover Letter
- *Vault Online Career Library: Create a Vault account with your JHU e-mail address. Select Cover Letters for samples and advice.
Develop a curriculum vitae (CV)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Guides to CVs for Scientists: Read guides to help you prepare a CV and cover letter.
- PDF Document: Curriculum Vitae Guide
Create a resume
- Vault Online Career Library: Access resume guides and samples under Career Resources.
- PDF Document: Resume and Cover Letter Tips
- PDF Document: Federal Resume Tips: Write your resume for U.S. Government jobs using these tips.
- PDF Document: Resume Action Verbs: Use this comprehensive list of action verbs to enhance your resume.
- PDF Document: Resume Power Bullets: Highlight your accomplishments using this resume technique.
- PDF Document: Skills Word List: Use this vocabulary list to help describe your skills and assets to employers.