Careers 101: Your Professional Development Prerequisite
All journeys require the necessary preparation and tools in order to succeed. Careers 101 is a combination of short activities that will help you prepare for your EPIC career journey that starts at Johns Hopkins University.
Careers 101 is a prerequisite for freshmen and sophomores, and all students are encouraged to take advantage of these activities at any time regardless of where they are in their career journey.
The Career Center believes the following five activities will equip students with the tools they need to begin their career journey. Freshmen and sophomores who complete all five activities will have access to individual coaching sessions.
Careers 101 on Blackboard
- Career Center Overview: Understand what tools, services, resources, and events are offered by the JHU Career Center.
- Handshake Overview: Handshake is your personal hub for career activity and opportunities, and is available at your fingertips 24/7. This short workshop/video will walk you through the tips and tricks needed to unlock all the valuable tools available to you through this career management system.
- Traitify Assessment: This short, fun assessment was developed on the premise that self-knowledge and discovery are the foundation of a fulfilling professional life. Your results from Traitify are personal and can be used during future career discussions.
- Developing Your First Professional Resume: Learn how writing a resume can be a catalyst for career exploration and proof of your professional drive and motivation. This will give you the tools necessary to research and write a professional resume effective for your chosen field.
- Resume Review & Upload (Drop-in Resume Review and Upload to Handshake): Polish your draft professional resume by meeting with a member of the Career Center team informally during drop-ins around campus (times available on Handshake). Their suggestions and insight will help you finalize your first professional resume—then make it official by loading it to your Handshake profile.
*All workshops are available via Blackboard.