Where to Eat (Summer)
Locations Open for Summer
As Johns Hopkins University’s premier “all-you-care-to-eat” facility, Fresh Food Cafe, no matter what time of year has an endless list of daily options for Blue Jays to enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner at their leisure.
- Breakfast: Our breakfasts include fresh and light options to start the day right, heartier offerings for those who savor the morning meal, and a variety of ready-to-go items for those on the run. Everything is wholesome and freshly-made, so it’s easy for guests to make choices that will provide them with a nutritious jump-start to a busy day.
- Salad Bar: We have a love affair with salads. You will, too, when you sample the variety of flavors and textures at our salad bar. The very embodiment of our Farm to Fork program, our salad bar is sure to please even the toughest critic.
- Kettles: We make all our soups from scratch, daily. That means everything down to the stock. We believe that’s the only way to achieve the deep, soul-satisfying flavors that a good bowl of soup provides. Whether you love a hearty bowl of chili, a light and healthy summer minestrone, or a comforting bowl of chicken noodle soup, you’ll find a favorite every season of the year.
- Scratch: Here is where you will find American regional classics. The foods we grew up on, the foods that comfort us, the foods that our grandmothers and mothers made. When Blue Jays have a longing for the familiar or need a little comfortable reassurance, this is where they come.
- Sizzle: Cooking meat over an open fire is one of the most elemental and cross-cultural cooking techniques known to man. At our Sizzle station, prepare to be “wowed” by our high-quality, locally raised beef burgers, our sophisticated daily specials and delicious favorites like pulled pork barbecue and grilled marinated chicken.
- Blue Jay Bar: Weekly rotation of comfort food favorites.
- Nature bar: fresh cut fruit, yogurt, bagels and spreads.
- Dal Forno: Our pizza is made the way it should be—by hand. We start with the finest quality flour and mix and knead it with proper care.
- Pasta: Create your own combination of this Italian classic or dine on chef-prepared options. We make our sauces in-house, by combining tomatoes with garlic, aromatic herbs, and fruity olive simple ingredients to let the flavor of the tomatoes shine. Our toppings are our own pestos and homemade meatballs, house-roasted vegetables and a special blend of five cheeses.
- Root: Enjoy vegan cooked fresh, with vegetable broths, slow-fermented tempeh and miso, the freshest vegetables, and a passion for lively flavors. From vegan takes of traditional comfort foods to dishes that celebrate the culinary innovations of the world’s best vegan cuisine, our cafes cater to every palate while honoring and supporting the vegan lifestyle.
- Deli: The art of a perfect sandwich. House-roasted turkey and roast beef, premium deli meat options and a mind-blowing selection of cheeses and other “fixings.” Perfectly-roasted vegetables for a vegetarian version and a generous variety of locally-baked breads and rolls will help to make the Dagwood station compatible to anyone’s tastes!
Meals to Go at the Fresh Food Cafe
We know there are times when Blue Jays are busy and may not be able to enjoy a leisurely meal at the Fresh Food Cafe every day. That’s why we offer the convenience of a to-go program at the FFC.
During any breakfast, lunch or dinner meal period, Blue Jays can fill to-go containers with a reasonable, well-balanced meal (e.g. entrée, 2 sides, salad, dessert and beverage) and enjoy a great meal on the run or in the comfort of their room or suite. Once the Blue Jay has filled the supplied container, they must take their meal to go. Compostable silverware and napkins are provided for all Meals to Go participants.
Levering Kitchens summer operations features the following menu and offerings, including:
- Grill: Stop by for some of your favorite grill items from burgers to French fries with some daily specials in between.
- Wok: Savor in the flavors of Asia with our wok. You can expect to enjoy orange chicken, bulgogi beef, and other rotating dishes for a hot, delicious meal.
- Butterfly: From Chef José Andrés’ ThinkFoodGroup, Butterfly celebrates the vibrant street food culture of Mexico. Take your taste buds on a tour of the country’s diverse regions through the innovative menu of tacos and tortas, as well as our selection of fresh salads and salsas.
- Go: Grab and go items at your convenience for those in a hurry. Choose from locally pre-packaged sandwiches, salads, fruit, yogurt, puddings, parfaits, and desserts and head off with a delicious and nutritious meal. From hot soups and sandwiches to cold salads and fruits, you can grab it all at Levering!
Located inside the Mattin Center, Bamboo Café is the newest venue on campus at the Mattin Center. Offering many cuisines from the Asian continent, Bamboo café strives to offer unique and authentic flavors for the Hopkins Community. The café menu offers items such as Curry Rice Dishes, Ramen Noodle Soups, Donburi Bowls, Bahn Mi Sandwiches, Bento Boxes, Sushi Rolled to Order and prepackaged, side salads and soups, bubble tea and smoothies, and mochi and green tea ice creams. Bamboo Café prepares all of the sushi fresh daily for the Levering Kitchens retail location.