Students living in University Housing with 11-mo. contracts have the option to sublet their space during the summer months beginning when the residence halls close in May through 12noon on July 31st. Only full-time undergraduate students in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering may apply for sublet in University Housing.

How to Apply

Be mindful of the requirements to assure you have secured a legitimate sublet.

Students are required to complete and submit an application to the Housing Office for approval. Once you have identified someone to sublet to/from, the contract holder must complete the Sublet Application in the Housing Portal. Should we discover that someone is subletting in JHU housing illegally (ie. no approved agreement on file), the student will be required to vacate the premises immediately, the locks will be changed, and the licensee will be charged a $125 lock-change fee. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Housing Office by phone: (410) 516-7960 or email:


The sub-licensee MUST be a Johns Hopkins undergraduate student currently enrolled full-time in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering.

  1. Students subleasing a space in a multi-share apartment/suite (2+ bedrooms):
    1. MUST inform their roommate(s) of their intent to sublet.
    2. If your suite/apartment is currently gender inclusive, you MUST inform the subletter that they will be subletting in a mixed gender suite.
    3. If you and your roommate(s) decide to make your space gender inclusive for the summer, all students residing in the apartment must be in agreement.
  2. You MAY NOT charge more than the University charges for your space. To find out the monthly cost, take the amount charged by Housing for the 2018 – 2019 academic year and divide it by the number of months in your lease. For information on the current rates, PDF Document: click here.
  3. The Housing Office WILL NOT approve a sublet after the lease holder has vacated/turned in their keys to Housing or for a lease holder who is not reachable by phone or email. These spaces may be used by the Housing Office as overflow Summer Housing space.
  4. It is advisable to draw up an agreement between both parties outlining the cost, payment(s), and the condition of the space. PDF Document: Click here to view a sample agreement. If damages occur, the Housing Office will bill these charges to the contract holder – NOT the student subleasing the space – and it will be the responsibility of the contract holder to get reimbursed by the sublettor.
  5. Once finalized, the sublet will be considered official and the sub-licensees’s JCard will be activated for the specified dates of the sublet agreement and the contract holder’s JCard will be DEACTIVATED – no exceptions.
  6. The key and payment exchange MUST be managed between the licensee/sub-licensee.
  7. You may be contacted by people who are not eligible to sublet your space (i.e. full-time or part-time graduate students or others not affiliated with the University). The University will remove illegal sublettors and you will be subject to a $125 lock change fee to re-key the apartment/suite immediately.

How to Find a Sublet

  1. University Housing Online Database: To advertise your room on the database, click here. Login with your JHED ID and add a listing under your account. Be sure to select Sublet/University Housing and use the heading: UNIVERSITY HOUSING SUBLET – UNDERGRADS ONLY. If you have any questions or concerns with this process, please do not hesitate to contact the Off-Campus Housing Office at 410-516-7961.
  2. JHU Sublets: Post on the front page. Facebook is a really good tool to identify potential sub-licensees. In addition to our page, try posting on other relevant pages.
  3. University Housing Sublet Google Docs:
    1. Students living on campus in 11-mo. contract spaces can complete this Google Form to advertise their space: University Housing Sublet Listing. While we are only sharing the listings with JHU undergraduate students, please note information submitted here will not be secured through a Johns Hopkins University network. If you are not comfortable with sharing this information, please utilize one of our other recommended methods of advertising.
    2. If you are searching for an available summer sublet space, you can view the Available University Housing Sublets 2019 Google sheet. To access the 2019 sublet listings, please log onto the Housing Portal and select “Sublet Application” on the top navigation bar. There will be a link to the student-listed apartments at the bottom of the page.