Student Belongings & Retrieval Process
During the Spring 2020 semester, Johns Hopkins University closed the Homewood campus mid-term in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and public health guidance. Since then, Housing Operations staff has worked closely with professional movers to secure the belongings of students who were unable to return to campus to move out of their 2019-20 housing assignment. The goal of this effort was to pack each room with the utmost care and concern for our students and their property, and then transport those belongings to a climate-controlled storage facility managed by the university.
Students now have the opportunity to retrieve their belongings by setting up an appointment through the Housing Portal. Appointments are available in 30-minute timeslots starting at 9 a.m. and ending at 5 p.m., with the last timeslot being 4:30 – 5:00 p.m. Please note – there are no appointments from 12pm to 1pm. To ensure adequate physical distancing, appointment days are limited and timeslots are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students will be emailed information about upcoming appointments as they become available.
Scheduling an appointment
Appointments to retrieve belongings are scheduled via the Housing Portal up to 72 hours in advance of the desired date. Once logged in, click the “Belongings Pickup” button in the top navigation bar to view a listing of available appointment slots. Upon selecting an appointment, a confirmation email will be sent with additional instructions.
Cancelling or changing an appointment
Appointments may be changed or cancelled through the Housing Portal up to 72 hours in advance. For example, if an appointment is Monday at noon, the appointment can be cancelled or changed until Friday at noon.
To change an appointment the existing appointment must first be cancelled before a new appointment can be scheduled.
To cancel an appointment, log into the Housing Portal and click the “Belongings Pickup” button in the top navigation bar. Click “Next” to see the scheduled appointment listed under the “My Appointments” heading. To cancel, click the “Cancel” button on the right and confirm the cancellation when prompted. A confirmation email will be sent once the appointment has successfully been cancelled.
To create a new appointment see the “scheduling an appointment” section above.
Cancellations and changes less than 72 hours in advance must be done by calling 410-516-7960. These requests are subject to availability and may not be granted.
Getting to the storage facility
The storage facility is located on the JHU Bayview campus, which is approximately 6.5 miles southeast of the Homewood campus. The address is 5560 Bioscience Drive, Baltimore, MD 21202. If arriving to the Bayview campus via East Lombard St., take the first drive to the left after you have turned onto Bioscience Drive; there will be a JHU sign at the drive that reads “Student Belonging Pickup”.
For help securing transportation to the facility, please contact Housing Operations directly at email@example.com or 410-516-7960. Housing Operations will work with JHU Transportation Services to coordinate transportation to the facility and back to campus.
Retrieving your belongings
- Only students are permitted into the warehouse. Guests and parents must remain in the vehicle. Masks are required inside and outside all JHU facilities at all times.
- You will need your J-Card and provide your 2019-20 housing assignment.
- You will be required to show your approved campus pass via the Prodensity app. For more information, please visit https://prodensity.jh.edu/welcome.
- The warehouse is located at: 5560 Bioscience Drive, Baltimore, MD 21202. Should you need help securing transportation to and from campus, please contact Housing directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-516-7960.
- When you arrive at the warehouse, there will be signs for you to check in with a staff member to be assigned a bay and/or directed where to park.
- Upon entering the warehouse, your items will be brought to your assigned bay to go through and check for any missing boxes or items which may have been too large to be packed in a box. If you shared your space with roommates and/or suitemates, you will be asked to go through the boxes to remove only your items. The remaining belongings will be shrink wrapped and remain stored until retrieved by roommates and/or suitemates.
- If there are any missing boxes or items, please inform the on-site staff member. We will do our best to locate the items before you depart the facility.
We very much welcome feedback on this process and will be emailing a brief survey afterward.
Missing or damaged items
In the event of missing or damaged items, please email email@example.com or call Housing Operations at 410-516-7960. For more information, please visit the reimbursement process page.
For a list of frequently asked questions, please continue to the FAQ page.
Questions can be directed to Housing Operations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 410-516-7960.