Students living in University Housing with 11-mo. contracts have the option to sublet their space during the summer months beginning when the Residence Halls close in May through the end of their contract term. Only full-time undergraduate students in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering may apply for sublet in University Housing.
How to Apply
Be mindful of the requirements to assure you have secured a legitimate sublet.
Students are required to complete and submit an application to the Housing Office for approval. More information regarding the sublet process will be released in the Spring semester. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Housing Office by phone: (410) 516-7960 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The sub-licensee MUST be a Johns Hopkins undergraduate student currently enrolled full-time in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering program.
- Students subletting a space in a multi-share apartment/suite (2+ bedrooms):
- MUST inform their roommate(s) of their intent to sublet.
- the student to whom you sublet MUST be the same gender; current Gender Inclusive apartments/suites are the only exception. Contract holder should inform subletter that they will be subletting in a mixed gender suite. Additional follow-up from the Housing Office will be required.
- The contract holder MAY NOT charge more than the University charges for their space. To find out the monthly cost, take the amount charged by Housing for the 2017 – 2018 academic year and divide it by the number of months in the lease.
- The Housing Office WILL NOT approve a sub-license after the lease holder has vacated/turned in their keys to Housing or for a lease holder who is not reachable by phone or email.
- Once the application has been submitted (see below), the licensee & sub-licensee MUST come to the Wolman Housing Office to sign the agreement and finalize the sublet agreement. The Housing Office will reference this agreement in the event of a lock out or an emergency situation.
- Once finalized, the sublet will be considered official and the sub-licensees’s JCard will be activated for the specified dates of the sublet agreement and the contract holder’s JCard will be DEACTIVATED.
- The key and payment exchange MUST be managed between the licensee/sub-licensee.
- It is advisable to draw up an agreement between both parties outlining the cost, payment(s), and the condition of the space. If damages occur, the Housing Office will bill these charges to the contract holder – NOT the student subletting the space – and it will be the responsibility of the contract holder to get reimbursed by the subletter.