Additional Resources and Referrals
The Counseling Center takes a strong stance against racism in every shape and form. In the midst of ongoing hate crimwellnes and harassment directed toward multiple groups, often based on identity, resources are more important than ever. Below is a list of blog posts, statements and resource lists that may be helpful.
- Coping Strategies and Resources for Racial Trauma
- How to Handle Election Season Stress and Part 2: Finding Your Window of Tolerance
- PDF Document: Emotional Self-Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- PDF Document: JHU Counseling Center: “Coping with Traumatic Events”
- NIH Resilience Webinars (for undergraduate students, postbacs, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows) – go to https://www.training.nih.gov and at the top, look under “Upcoming Events” for the full listing of webinars and discussions
- Emotional Self-Care in 2021
- “101 Ways to Take Care of Yourself When the World Feels Overwhelming” via Upworthy
Additional JHU Resources for Students
- The Counseling Center offers individual counseling, drop-in group support for Racial Trauma, and additional Chat with a Counselor hours (including identity-based hours for students who want to talk to a counselor who shares a particular identity).
- Chaplains in Religious and Spiritual Life are also available for emotional support.
- The JHU Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) for information, resources or to report incidents of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct.
- Students who want to engage and get involved politically can view the multitude of offerings from the Center for Social Concern.
- Students who are concerned that racial trauma or distress may affect their academics can reach out to the Office of the Dean of Student Life, Student Outreach and Support or Student Disability Services (for temporary or permanent accommodations, including assistive technology).
Additional Articles Related to Racial Trauma
- PDF Document: Racial Trauma
- Psychological Toll of Racism
- Psychological Impact of Traumatic News
- PDF Document: Impact of Racial Trauma on African Americans:
- How White People can be Allies
- Here’s some poetry that could also be healing for students addressing racism and Black American Identity: 17 Poems To Read When The World Is Too Much