Become a Safe Zone Facilitator
Would you like to take an active role in making Hopkins a more inclusive and safe space for everyone? Are you interested in educating students, staff, and faculty about the LGBTQ community? We are looking for students, staff, and faculty who want to be part of improving the climate at Hopkins.
You’re invited to help facilitate Safe Zone trainings, a 3 hour session where anyone can learn how to be a better ally to the LGBTQ community. At the end of the session, participants receive a Safe Zone logo that they can display in order to show their support for the LGBTQ community. We will provide training for you as facilitators and all the materials/logistics necessary to arrange Safe Zone trainings. We need your energy, your perspective on the community, and your perspective on life at Hopkins.
If you are interested in becoming a facilitator, please complete this form.
We ask you to attend a 5 hour facilitator training and to facilitate at least 2 3-hour Safe Zone trainings within the next year. Facilitators should have already attended a Safe Zone training at Hopkins. Facilitators do not need to have experience as educators. Facilitators are thoroughly supported in their development with the material, and facilitators will always have at least one co-facilitator to lead a training with. We ask you to commit to the Safe Zone values of inclusion and honesty, and some comfort with public speaking is an asset.
The LGBTQ Life office will
- Provide facilitators with training and ongoing support.
- Coordinate facilitators, training dates, and locations.
- Provide materials for Safe Zone sessions.
- Track Safe Zone participants.
- Assess the Safe Zone program.
- Celebrate the successes of the program and facilitators.
- Communicate availability to the LGBTQ Life office.
- Follow through on commitments to facilitate sessions.
- Endeavor to develop themselves as facilitators and in their knowledge of subject matter.
- Return all training materials and forms to the LGBTQ Life office after a Safe Zone session.
- Provide feedback on Safe Zone to LGBTQ Life.
- Advocate for the program.