Since 2007, a committee comprised of Johns Hopkins University faculty and staff members has selected a book as recommended reading for new students at the university. Sharing a common reading experience is among the first activities in which students will partake with their fellow new Blue Jays—their first homework assignment!
The Common Read program:
- brings members of the entering first-year class and new transfer students together to participate in intellectual exchange and critical thinking about a carefully chosen text;
- builds community and eases the transition to college by engaging students in small-group discussions with faculty members, staff members, and experienced students;
- encourages students to consider the world around them through reflection and dialogue; and
- invites new students to “cultivate their capacity for lifelong learning” by considering a common text from a variety of different perspectives
The annual Common Read program is generously underwritten by parent donors to the Hopkins Parents Fund.
2018 Book Selection
The book for this year’s Common Read program will be announced soon.
During Orientation, students will discuss the book in small groups led by faculty and staff members, in addition to RAs and First-Year Mentors. As a primer for these discussions, students are encouraged to participate in a “response” contest over the summer. Students may either submit a written essay or a short video with their response to the book. Additional information on the contest and Common Read program will be distributed to students via email.
Copies of the Common Read selection will be mailed to new students’ permanent addresses, so you do not need to purchase the book! Please note that it may take longer for the book to reach international students.
Past Book Selections
- 2017 – Spare Parts by Joshua Davis
- 2016 – $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America by Kathryn J. Edin and H. Luke Shaefer
- 2015 – The Beautiful Struggle by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- 2014 – Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar, Ph.D.
- 2013 – The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore
- 2012 – The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
- 2011 – Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder
- 2010 – The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- 2009 – Johns Hopkins: A Silhouette by Helen Hopkins Thom
- 2008 – Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- 2007 – From Binge to Blackout by Chris and Toren Volkmann
Nominate a Book
Have you read or heard of a book that you would like to nominated for a future Common Read? Fill out our nomination form with a book of your choice!