Ten Career Tips for New Grads
Posted: May 4, 2018
Congratulations! Your new grad is moving on to bigger things: a job, graduate school, a gap year, or a fellowship. Share these tips to help them find a position, and stay on their feet once they’ve landed.
Is your student still looking?
- Career Coaches offer 1-to-1 appointments through finals and after graduation. Reserve yours at joinhandshake.com.
- Come to Career Hacks! Walk away with strategies and techniques to stand out from the crowd.
- Follow your favorite companies on Handshake and get alerts when they post jobs. Make sure your profile is public, and employers can reach out to you.
- Update your voicemail, email name, and social media with a more professional tone.
- Companies tell us they’re looking for employees with “grit.” Work with a coach in person or on InterviewStream to figure out how to tell your story in a more compelling way!
Know where you’re going?
- You can still meet with a Career Coach or come to Career Center employer events for five years post-graduation. Use Handshake to RSVP for all of these.
- Stay in touch! Connect with faculty, classmates on co-workers on Linkedin and GoHopOnline. Join an alumni affinity group to keep building your network.
- Set aside time in your schedule to read industry news and build new skills every week.
- Go to lunch with a coworker or classmate weekly to learn about their work and career path.
- Give yourself a six-month review. What do you like? What don’t you like? Do more of what you like going forward. This will help you choose next career steps.