Classroom Scheduling & Reservations
General Pool Classrooms
General pool classrooms on the Homewood Campus are instructional teaching spaces managed and scheduled by the Office of the Registrar, a department under the auspices of Homewood Student Affairs. They are a shared resource to be used as fully and efficiently as possible with scheduling priority given to credit bearing courses. The shared general pool classroom allocation system is intended to provide equitable access to a variety of rooms and features to address instructional needs of credit bearing courses first and thereafter to provide accommodation for non-credit bearing courses, student group meetings and other non-recurring academic activities, such as a thesis defense or a course review session. A list of the general pool classrooms can be found by visiting the Classroom/Audiovisual Technology Support webpage under the “Supported Classrooms” header. Examples of general pool classrooms are Gilman Hall, Room 132 and Maryland Hall, Room 309. Food and beverages are not permitted in general pool classrooms.
General Pool Room Reservation Policy
- The shared general pool classroom allocation system provides each JHU Homewood department or school with scheduling preferences in buildings or rooms in close proximity to their offices. The allocation provides priority to each school or department for planning purposes, but not ownership in the shared general pool classrooms.
- The Office of the Registrar Scheduling Team will complete scheduling Zanvyl Krieger Arts & Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering credit courses in classrooms no later than two weeks before the start of any academic semester. This includes Summer (sessions I and II), Fall, Intersession, and Spring.
- The ASEN Office of the Registrar schedules all general pool classrooms for classes 8 a.m.– to 11 p.m., Monday through Friday and on the weekends.
- The Office of the Registrar Scheduling Team will make every effort to assign available classrooms appropriate to course enrollments and instructional needs and, if possible, to give preference to Homewood departments or schools to use classrooms in close proximity to their departmental facilities.
- The Office of the Registrar Scheduling Team will make every effort to accommodate course and classroom assignment changes on a space available basis.
- The Office of the Registrar must be compliant with ADA regulations. Room assignments may be assigned or changed to remain in compliance as accommodations are identified.
- Whenever classrooms in the Homewood general pool classroom inventory are taken offline due to renovation, utility failure, etc., the Scheduling Team will identify alternative available space and adjust the course room assignment as needed.
Event spaces are distinct from general pool classrooms and departmental dedicated spaces. Event spaces are typically in a location that does not have the necessary accoutrements necessary for credit bearing courses, i.e., audio-visual equipment, furniture or resources. Examples of event spaces are the Sherwood Room in Levering Hall and the Clipper Room, Boardroom, and Auditorium in Shriver Hall. These resources are primarily scheduled by the office of Scheduling and Event Services and may be reserved using the online reservation form.
Ad-Hoc Academic and Student Organization Room Requests
Homewood Academic and Administrative Departments interested in requesting general pool classroom space rather than conference or event space for non-course related events should fill out an Academic Event Request Form or email firstname.lastname@example.org directly. Requests will be evaluated on an individual basis. Depending on the timeline of the event, additional information may be required and subject to Dean’s approval.
Homewood student organizations and non-JHU Homewood affiliated programs may request use of general pool classrooms, conference and event space, or shared computer classrooms by submitting a reservation request form. The various types of rooms available for reservation can be found by clicking “Find a Space” in the left margin and then searching the “Room Layout field” on the form. Homewood student organizations must be registered with the office of Student Leadership and Involvement before requesting an event space.
- Room requests for general pool classrooms may be submitted as outlined below and at least two business days prior to the date of the event.
- Requests that will occur during the:
- Summer academic period will be accepted beginning March 1
- Fall academic period will be accepted beginning June 1
- Intersession will be accepted beginning October 1
- Spring academic period will be accepted beginning November 1
- The Office of the Registrar Scheduling Team will begin to schedule event requests after all courses have been assigned, at least two weeks prior to the start of an academic term.
- Reservation requests are issued confirmations on a space-available basis in chronological order as follows:
- First, by the date of the event and
- Second, by the date the the request was received by the Office of the Registrar.
- Cancellations should be reported to the Office of the Registrar Scheduling Team no later than 48 hours prior to the original start date so the room(s) may be made available to others.
- Scheduled events requiring AV technical support, custodial and/or security services may incur charges.
- Hodson Hall assignments may be subject to temporary relocation during Board of Trustee or President’s office events.
- The Office of the Registrar will review and revise these guidelines and allocations annually or as needed in response to changing academic needs and room availabilities.
Note: The above policies are applicable when courses are in session.