Waving flag

On behalf of the University, we take this opportunity to thank you for your service to our country and for choosing Johns Hopkins University to fulfill your educational goals. We sincerely hope that your experience with our institution is a rewarding one.

Johns Hopkins is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission for the training of veterans, service members, eligible spouses and dependents under the provisions of the various federal laws pertaining to Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits. Information about VA education benefits is available on or by calling 1-888-442-4551.

For additional information regarding utilizing VA benefits at Johns Hopkins University contact

How to Apply for Benefits

To obtain veterans educational benefits, students must comply with the following procedures:

Initial Enrollment

  1. After acceptance to JHU, apply for VA benefits using the Veterans Online Application or visit for instructions.
  2. The VA will review the application. If eligible for education benefits, the VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility Letter to the student. (Note: Students may begin enrolling in courses)
  3. Notify the School Certifying Official of course enrollment and submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility Letter or Statement of Benefits (can be viewed at ).
  4. Log into SIS Self-Service, click the Billing tab, select Third Party Billing, and choose U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Next, read the Student Acknowledgement Section and check the box to acknowledge and sign. Click submit.


Eligible dependents of veterans should refer to VA website to obtain the correct application form depending on the service member’s dates of service.

Note: If you have used VA education benefits previously at another university, you must complete the VA 22-1995 Form (Change of Program or Place of Training) through

Tuition Payments

The amount of payment is governed by the student’s eligibility established by the VA. The 2019-2020 annual tuition cap set by the VA for private schools is $24,476.79. The student is responsible for the remaining tuition. JHU does participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. See Yellow Ribbon below for details.


Students must request certification each semester from their School Certifying Official. Failure to submit a request will result in a presumption that benefits are not being sought for that term.

To submit a VA certification request, log into SIS Self-Service, click the Billing tab, select Third Party Billing, and choose U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Next, read the Student Acknowledgement Section and check the box to acknowledge and sign. Click submit.

As a final step, please email your School Certifying Official to request VA certification.

Note: Students utilizing VA education benefits must let their School Certifying Official know immediately of any change in their status or program that might affect the amount of their payment from the VA.

School Certifying Officials

The School Certifying Official is responsible for processing certifications of enrollment for all students receiving veteran educational benefits; updating and reporting accurate enrollment to the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA); and maintaining federal compliance. Early in the admission and registration process, students eligible for VA educational benefits must contact the SCO on campus and identify themselves. Students should realize that an SCO cannot determine eligibility for benefits; this is the sole responsibility of the VA. School Certifying Officials throughout Johns Hopkins University are committed to assisting you on your educational journey.

Nancy Carr Krieger Arts & Sciences and Whiting Engineering (including AAP and EP)ncarr5@jhu.edu410-516-6635
John BatesSchool of Advanced International Studies Military and Veteran Applicantsjbates@jhu.edu202-663-5617
Nilaya Baccus HairstonPeabody Conservatory Veteran Benefitsnbaccus1@jhu.edu667-208-6581
Barbara Freels School of Public Healthjhsph.registra@jhu.edu410-955-3552
Dawn Kostik School of Education Veterans/G.I. Bill Assistancesoe.registration@jhu.edu410-516-9816
Patricia PrevillSchool of Medicine Veterans Educational Benefitspaprevill@jhmi.edu410-955-3080
Jessica PaterisCarey Business School Student Experiencecarey.veteran@jhu.edu410-234-9250
Libby MilesSchool of Nursing Funding Sourcesomiles1@jhu.edu410-614-3096

Military Scholarships

Many organizations offer scholarships to help cover education costs for veterans. View a list of external scholarships.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Johns Hopkins University is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon program, which allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the amount payable to private institutions in an academic year. Yellow Ribbon awards are applied on a first-come, first-served basis. The rates and maximums for the Yellow Ribbon program can change from year-to-year. Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon program.

Financial Aid Contacts

DivisionContact NameEmail AddressURL of Webpage(s) Explaining How to Apply for Financial Aid
ASEN (including AAP, EP, and Post-Bacc/Pre-Med)Owen
EducationHysha Nesmithhnesmit1@jhu.eduSoE Veterans/G.I. Bill Assistance
MedicineGenene Caines (temporary)gcaines1@jhmi.eduSoM Apply for Aid
NursingSherrod Wilkersonswilker6@jhu.eduSoN Other Funding Sources
PeabodyRebecca Polgarrpolgar1@peabody.jhu.eduPeabody Financial Aid & Scholarships
Public HealthFlora Whartonfwharton@jhu.eduPublic Health Financial Aid Application Procedures
SAISLaura Boeslerlboesler@jhu.eduSAIS Financial Aid Office

Military Tuition Assistance

The point of contact for Service members is Nancy Carr 410-516-6635. If utilizing tuition assistance, please email authorized tuition assistance forms to your School Certifying Official.

Military tuition assistance may only be used to pursue degree programs at colleges and universities in the United States that are regionally or nationally accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S Department of Education. Each military branch has its own tuition assistance application procedure. It is recommended the military student visit their local installation education center. Prior to your course enrollment, you may be required to provide an education degree plan or complete tuition assistance orientation.

The tuition assistance recipient can request the degree plan from their advisor or contact Nancy Carr, School Certifying Official, at or 410-516-6635 for assistance. Your service’s education center must approve your military tuition assistance before you enroll in a course.

Visit for helpful information about military tuition assistance processes.

Keep in mind that tuition assistance will not fund your college courses, and you will have to reimburse any funds already paid if any of the following situations occur:

  • Leaving the service before the course ends
  • Quitting the course for reasons other than personal illness, military transfer or mission requirements
  • Failing the course

Refund Policy

Week #Refund ScheduleFall 2018 DeadlineSpring 2019 Deadline
Prior to start of semester - end of week 2100%September 14February 8
Week 390%September 21February 15
Week 480%September 28February 22
Week 570%October 5March 1
Week 660%October 12March 8
Week 750%October 19March 15
Week 840%October 26March 29
End of 8th week of classes;
9th calendar week due to spring break
Week 9 - end of semesterNo RefundOctober 27 and laterMarch 30 and later
End of 9th week of classes; 10th calendar week due to spring break
Note for Military TA recipients: Upon withdrawal for a term, students utilizing military TA will have their funds returned to the US government according to the return policy for Title IV federal aid.