Student Government Association
The Student Government Association works with various categories of student organizations to recognize, evaluate and fund. This is done through two bodies of students, the Committee on Student Organizations and the Student Activities Commission (SAC). The Committee on Student Organizations recognizes, evaluates and supports student organizaitons along with various category coordinators. The Student Activities Commission (SAC) serves as the funding board of the Student Government Association. The SAC supports registered student organizations by allocating funds that will result in programs and services to benefit the undergraduate community on the Homewood campus of Johns Hopkins University.
Committee on Student Organizations
The Committee receives applications submitted through Hopkins Groups. Learn more about the application process and needs on the join or start an organizations website. Once submitted, the application will be reviewed by the Student Government Association’s (SGA) Committee on Student Organizations. Representatives from the group will then be interviewed by the SGA Committee on Student Organizations (The Committee) so they may learn more about the group, its mission and/or purpose. The Committee will then approve or deny the group and inform the overall SGA of the decision. If a group is interested in appealing the decision of The Committee, they can do so according to the SGA bylaws. The SGA will also vote to determine into what category the group will be placed. This approval process is for student organization recognition only, and is not associated with the Student Activities Commission (SAC) funding process.
The Committee on Student Organizations of the SGA will undergo a yearly review of the re-registration applications for its recognized student groups. Organizations will be asked to provide the following information for that purpose:
- Current Programming: List and describe what events, initiatives, workshops, meetings and gatherings your group organized this past academic year and what was their purpose. *Please specify which were open to the general student body and which were closed to group members only.
- Future Programming: List which of these your group intends to organize again next year, along with any new events, initiatives, workshops, meetings and gatherings your group is planning for next year.
Please note that the Committee might contact your student group’s leaders if it requires any further information.
For more details on the Committee’s review, please contact any of your Class Senators or email the Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Activities Commission
The SAC offers monthly grants to provide supplemental funding for:
- New initiatives
- Unforeseen expenses
- Newly approved organizations
Visit the Grants page for more information about SAC monthly grants and other funding opportunities. The SAC Monthly Grant Application is available on Hopkins Groups. A completed Word Document: Monthly Grant Budget Form is required as part of your SAC Monthly Grant Application.
SAC-approved organizations that have existed over one semester in the following categories:
- Advocacy and Awareness
- Performing Arts
- Publications and Journals
- Religious and Spiritual
- Special Interest and Hobby
The SAC 2017-18 annual budget application form will be available through the student organization re-registration process on Hopkins Groups. For your reference, a document upload will be required and is available ahead of time through the Word Document: application. Name your .doc file in this format: org-name_category.doc (i.e. knitting-club_specialinterest.doc).
If you need assistance in preparing the annual budget application or have general questions, please email email@example.com.
In order to receive the SAC annual funds in the group accounts for the 2018-19 school year, impacted student groups must be re-registered and have an accurate officers roster on Hopkins Groups by the re-registration deadline. If a group does not re-register by the deadline, allocated funds will revert back to the general pool of funding to be allocated to other SAC funded groups.
The SAC Roster includes the following members.
Chair: Mi Tu, firstname.lastname@example.org
Advisor: Kirsten Fricke
Commissioners: Zee Carter, David Cui, Alexandra Diehl, Ting Fang, Katya Forbes, Kush Mansuria, Brandon Lax, Jonathan Paris
- Review and approve monthly grants from club officials and notify clubs of results
- Serve as the chief point of contact for 10 or more student groups to the Student Government Association
- Participate in club town halls and air concerns from club officials
- Attend club meetings and events to verify expenditures and insure compliance with SAC guidelines.
- Participate in the annual SAC funding process
- Report directly to the Student Government Executive Treasurer