Community Impact Internships Program Intern Application
Indicate 1st choice for placement area: * Community Arts Programs Criminal Justice/Law Education/Youth Programming and Advocacy Environment and Sustainability/Food Access Healthcare/Health Policy Homelessness/Poverty Immigration/Refugee Services Building Neighborhood Improvement/Community Organizing Nonprofit/Government Management and Capacity Building Women/ Family Wellness
Indicate 3rd choice for placement area: * Community Arts Programs Criminal Justice/Law Education/Youth Programming and Advocacy Environment and Sustainability/Food Access Healthcare/Health Policy Homelessness/Poverty Immigration/Refugee Services Building Neighborhood Improvement/Community Organizing Nonprofit/Government Management and Capacity Building Women/ Family Wellness
Indicate 2nd choice for placement area: * Community Arts Programs Criminal Justice/Law Education/Youth Programming and Advocacy Environment and Sustainability/Food Access Healthcare/Health Policy Homelessness/Poverty Immigration/Refugee Services Building Neighborhood Improvement/Community Organizing Nonprofit/Government Management and Capacity Building Women/ Family Wellness Other Information How did you hear about CIIP? *
Have you applied before to CIIP? * Yes No Please choose all options that apply to you. * Please select any CSC programs that you have participated in during your career at Hopkins. *
Please indicate the capacity/length of time you participated in the CSC programs above. *
Are you involved in other student leadership activities? * Yes No
If "yes", please provide additional details, indicating the capacity, length of time you participated, etc. * Part I. Short Responses (answer each of the following questions in 200 words or less)
1) Choose a volunteer opportunity from your high school or college years that you have enjoyed and highlight how you have grown personally because of the experience. *
2) What motivates you to be a part of the Community Impact Internships Program? *
3) How do you see a community-based internship experience complementing your academic studies or professional goals? *
4) What are your post-graduation plans? * Part II. Essay Questions (Please respond to each question in 500 words or less)
1) Community Issue Essay - Students in the Community Impact Internships Program will be exposed to pressing social issues facing Baltimore communities every day. Identify a community issue in Baltimore City that is of interest to you. This can be drawn from personal experience or current events. Then draft a short essay covering the following points (If using sources, MLA style citation is required; when citing web sources solely provide source link.) A.) Describe the community issue that Baltimore residents experience, B.) What is currently being done to improve this social issue through the work of government agencies, nonprofits or community organizations?, C.) How could Hopkins students, in your opinion, get involved in addressing this problem (be creative and include the resources Hopkins has to offer). *
2) Personal Essay - A.) Describe how your experiences (academic, extracurricular, and/or personal) have shaped your interest in community-engaged work, B.) How will your strengths, skills, and passions contribute positively towards the work of a community partner through your internship experience? C.)How will you engage with, and make a contribution to the community through this program? * Community Impact Internships Program Conditions of Participation
Participants must agree to the Conditions of Participation as outlined below.
THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR SOCIAL CONCERN Community Impact Internships Program Conditions of Participation
Students participating in the Community Impact Internships Program organized by the Johns Hopkins University Center for Social Concern are expected to adhere to all Johns Hopkins University Policies and Procedures as stipulated in the Undergraduate Student Handbook and the terms set forth in this Conditions of Participation.
I acknowledge and agree to adhere to the following Johns Hopkins Center for Social Concern Community Impact Internships Program Conditions of Participation:
I understand that I am responsible for my own actions, activities, and behavior while participating in a Johns Hopkins Center for Social Concern Program. I understand that participants who are alleged to have violated the Undergraduate Student Conduct Code will be reported to the Director of the Center for Social Concern. If a violation is determined to have occurred, the Director of the Center for Social Concern will take appropriate disciplinary action, which may include immediate dismissal from the program. I understand that I am obligated to comply with local, state, and federal laws. In particular, I understand that the program is a drug and alcohol free program, even if I am of age and it is acceptable by law. Other conduct that is considered unacceptable to Johns Hopkins University includes, but is not limited to, loud and/or abusive behavior; sexual harassment; and criminal conduct of any kind, including the purchase, sale, possession or use of drugs other than prescribed medication for legal medicinal purposes. I agree that failure to comply with these expectations may lead to my immediate dismissal from the program. I agree to participate with respect and consideration for my new community, fellow program participants, and peer mentors. I will represent myself, my university, and this program with great care and integrity. I understand that if I am dismissed from the program for cause I will receive no compensation. I also acknowledge that I am responsible for any costs incurred by early dismissal. I understand that the JHU Community Impact Internships Program takes place from June 4th (for CIIP Orientation) through August 4th, 2018. I will be able to work 35 hours/week for the internship period and will not work an additional paid position of more than 10 hours a week. I understand that committing to this program will be my main priority for this summer and I may not be able to fit preferred classes into my summer schedule. I understand that I need to request permission from the CIIP Coordinator to enroll in classes during the internship period. I will attend weekly evening reflection sessions and a closing session on August 4th.
BY SIGNING THIS APPLICATION, I UNDERSTAND THAT FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THESE TERMS IN ANY WAY WILL RESULT IN REMOVAL FROM THE COMMUNITY IMPACT INTERNSHIPS PROGRAM.