Accessing Your 1098T
If you have a US Social Security Number on file with the University as of December 31, 2017, and had tuition charges on your SBS account during the 2017 calendar year, a 1098T form for 2017 will be mailed to you by January 31, 2018. This document will be mailed to your permanent address listed in your profile in SIS.
Obtaining Your 1098T
Please login to SIS Self-Service to access your 2016 and 2017 1098T. Go directly to Billing>Summary or Billing Statement Tab.
Click the “View 1098T’ link
Frequently Asked Questions
The IRS Form 1098‐T is an informational return that JHU Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering is required to issue for the purpose of determining a student’s eligibility for an education credit or tuition and fees deduction. Refer to PDF Document: IRS publication 970 (PDF) and PDF Document: Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center (PDF) for further information regarding the 1098‐T, or consult your tax advisor.
Please note: JHU Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering or the JHU Tax Office cannot answer tax questions or advise you concerning tax related issues.
JHU Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering must file a 1098‐T form for each enrolled student for whom a reportable transaction was made during the calendar year January 1 to December 31. A reportable transaction is defined as qualified tuition and related expenses required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution and any scholarships or grants administered and processed for payment of the student’s cost of attendance.
- Students enrolled in courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program.
- Nonresident alien students.
- Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships and/or other formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student’s employer, government entity, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.
JHU Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering does not report payments received in Box 1 of the 1098‐T form. The University reports amounts BILLED for qualified tuition and related expenses during the calendar year January 1 through December 31, in Box 2 of the 1098‐T form. To get a summary of your charges and payments by term, you can view and print your account activity in SIS. Please look closely at the dates of activity.
How does a student receive IRS Form 1098‐T from JHU Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering?
- If you elected electronic delivery of your 1098‐T form, you will receive an e‐mail notification alerting you when your 1098‐T is available for download at 1098T.com. You can elect this option by logging on to www.1098T.com.
- If you did not choose electronic delivery, the 1098‐T form will be mailed to your last known permanent address of record provided to JHU Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering as of December 31. If you have not received the form by the middle of February, please contact Tax Credit Reporting Service by Xerox (TCRS) at 1‐877‐467‐3821. You can also download your 1098‐T form at 1098T.com.
If there is an error in the financial or demographic data reported, you need to contact JHU Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering’s Student Accounts Office or Registrar Office so that the error can be corrected, if necessary, and a corrected Form 1098-T can be created and issued.
JHU Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering does not mail duplicate or corrected 1098‐T forms. You can download and print a duplicate or corrected 1098‐T form at www.1098T.com including for previous years as far back as 2010.
JHU Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering contracts with a service provider to process, mail, and answer general questions pertaining to IRS Form 1098‐T. During peak season from Feb 15th to April 29th you can reach TCRS customer service from 11AM to 8:00PM Eastern Time, Monday through Friday. For off-peak times, you can reach TCRS customer service from 9:00AM to 5:00PM Eastern Time. Our service provider can be reached 1‐877‐467‐3821.