FAQs & Forms & Glossary

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I enroll/waive medical coverage?

Unless otherwise stated, students can enroll/waive in medical coverage from July 1 to September 15 for the entire academic year. Students who are starting in Spring can enroll/waive from November 1 to February 15. Students who experienced a qualified life event during the academic year, can make changes to coverage within 30 days of the life event.

When can I enroll in dental and vision coverage?

Unless otherwise stated, students have the option to enroll in dental and vision coverage during the student annual enrollment period of July 1 to September 15 with coverage effective August 15. Students who experienced a qualified life event during the academic year, can make changes to coverage within 30 days of the life event.

I enrolled in Delta Dental coverage, where can I find my ID card?

Once you have enrolled in Delta Dental coverage, you can create an account on the Delta Dental website to access your ID card. Follow the instructions here: PDF Document: Delta Dental First Time Login Guide

I completed all necessary pre-entrance requirements, but I still have an alert on my SIS account. What should I do?

Once you have completed the portal process and submitted all required paper forms to the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC), allow the 5-7 business days to process your information and remove your hold from SIS.

Why do I need health coverage while studying at JHU?

Johns Hopkins University requires that all full-time students maintain adequate health insurance coverage to provide protection against unexpected accidents and illnesses.

What does the Student Health Plan cover?

The Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP) provides access to health coverage while at school and at home. It is comprehensive coverage for both emergency and non-emergency situations, preventive care, and routine health coverage.

What is a Member/Policy/ID number and where can I find it?

The Member number is the same as the ID or policy number. This number is located on the front of the insurance card.

If I have comparable personal health insurance, may I waive out of the JHU plan?

U.S. domestic students who have a pre-existing health plan through their employer or family may submit a waiver request during open enrollment only. You will need your insurance card or a copy of your plan to answer waiver questions.

What is the waiver deadline?

For new and continuing students in the fall, the deadline to waive during open enrollment is September 15th. For new spring students, the deadline to waive coverage is February 14th.

How can I confirm that my waiver application was submitted successfully?

You should receive a confirmation via email when it is completed. SIS also updates that you have waived coverage.

I have health insurance through my parents. Is there any reason to keep the SHBP?

If your existing insurance plan meets the waiver criteria and you are not concerned about deductible and out of pocket expenses (co-pays/co-insurance), you may decide that your family plan provides enough coverage and that additional coverage is not needed.

How much does it cost to be seen at the Student Health and Wellness Center?

There is no fee for service at the Student Health and Wellness Center (SHWC) for Homewood and Peabody students.

NOTE: Eligibility for use of Student Health and Wellness Center services is determined by the school in which you are enrolled. Not all Johns Hopkins students are eligible to utilize the SHWC services. For more information visit https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/student-health/general-information/eligibility/.

How much does it cost to be seen at University Health Services?

School of Medicine graduates and postdoctoral fellows, School of Public Health graduates and postdoctoral fellows, school of nursing graduate students, JHH and JHBMC House Staff, and Berman Institute Postdoctoral fellows have access to UHS, regardless of enrollment in the Student Health Program (SHP) insurance. There is no charge for clinic visits for adult primary care and adult outpatient mental health services. However, additional services such as labs, x-rays, and medications will be billed to your health insurance.

Access to UHS services ceases upon graduation or completion of your fellowship or trainee appointment, so you and your covered spouse/same-sex domestic partner should begin to make arrangements to establish with a non-UHS provider for primary care and mental health needs at least 90 days prior to graduation. Participants in COBRA Student Health Program are not eligible to use UHS services.

Why are international students on F-1 and J-1 visa status automatically enrolled in the Student Health Benefits Plan (SHBP) and typically ineligible to waive?

Immigration regulations require that students on these visas have sufficient resources to cover all anticipated expenses in the U.S., including medical care. By automatically enrolling these students in the SHBP, JHU ensures they that have the necessary level of health benefits coverage.

Why are most foreign insurance policies not accepted by JHU?

Access to health care in the U.S. requires that an insurance plan has U.S. contact information, pays providers directly for services rendered, offers prescription and mental health coverage, and has a recognized financial stability rating. Very few foreign health insurance plans meet all of these requirements.

I am here on an F1 visa but married to US citizen. I want to be added to his/her insurance plan. Can I waive the school plan?

The spouse must have US insurance in order to waive SHBP. Contact your Campus’ Registrar’s Office.

Does the plan cover me when I travel or study outside the U.S.?

The SHBP provides worldwide coverage. As a part of the plan, emergency medical and travel assistance is provided through Travel Guard. For detailed information contact Wellfleet at 1-877-657-5044.

If a student withdraws, can they maintain their benefits plan for the duration of the paid period?

Students who withdraw from the university during the first 31 days of the plan are not eligible to remain on the SHBP. Students who withdraw after that date may retain coverage to the end of the benefits plan period for which they have paid.

What happens to my medical coverage if I need to take a Medical Leave of Absence?

If you are approved for a Medical Leave of Absence (MLOA) coverage, contact your campus’ Office of the Registrar.

NOTE: Any student taking a leave of absence other than Medical will lose eligibility to be covered under the student health plan.

I am a student and have been on Medical Leave of Absence. What happens when I return to JHU?

If SHBP terminates while on MLOA and you return in the spring you will be required to re-enroll through the Registrar’s Office. If you are returning in the fall, you will be automatically enrolled.

Are students on LOAs eligible for coverage?

Only Medical Leave of Absence students are eligible for an extension of coverage.

When does coverage terminate if I take a Leave of Absence (LOA)?

Coverage terminates at the end of the paid period of coverage.

I have a new health insurance coverage; can I waive out mid-year?

The student health benefits plan is an annual enrollment with only one waiver period per year.

Benefit Documents & Forms

Glossary of Common Terms


The percentage of costs of a covered health care service you pay (10%, for example) after you’ve paid your deductible.

Let’s say your health insurance plan’s allowed amount for an office visit is $100 and your coinsurance is 10%.

  • If you’ve paid your deductible: You pay 10% of $100, or $10. The insurance company pays the rest.
  • If you haven’t met your deductible: You pay the full allowed amount, $100.


A fixed amount ($20, for example) you pay for a covered health care service after you’ve paid your deductible.

Let’s say your health insurance plan’s allowable cost for a doctor’s office visit is $100. Your copayment for a doctor visit is $20.

  • If you’ve paid your deductible: You pay $20, usually at the time of the visit.
  • If you haven’t met your deductible: You pay $100, the full allowable amount for the visit.


The amount you pay for covered health care services before your insurance plan starts to pay. With a $150 deductible, for example, you pay the first $150 of covered services yourself.

Excluded Services

Health care services that your health insurance or plan doesn’t pay for or cover.


The facilities, providers and suppliers your plan has contracted with to provide health care services. JHU utilizes the Cigna Network.

Non-preferred provider

A provider who doesn’t have a contract with your plan to provide services to you. You’ll pay more to see a non-preferred provider.

Out-of-pocket maximum

The most you have to pay for covered services in a plan year. After you spend this amount on deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance for in-network care and services, your health plan pays 100% of the costs of covered benefits.

The out-of-pocket limit doesn’t include:

  • Your monthly premiums
  • Anything you spend for services your plan doesn’t cover
  • Out-of-network care and services
  • Costs above the allowed amount for a service that a provider may charge

Preferred Provider

A provider who has a contract with your health insurer or plan to provide services to you at a discount.

Preventive Services

Routine health care that includes screenings, check-ups, and patient counseling to prevent illnesses, disease, or other health problems.

Qualifying Life Event

A qualifying life event (QLE) is a change in your situation – like getting married, having a baby, or an involuntary loss of health coverage – that can make you eligible for a special enrollment period, allowing you to enroll in health insurance outside the plan’s scheduled Open Enrollment period.

Examples of QLE’s:

  • Student aging off parent’s plan
  • Change in employment such as reduction of hours or termination
  • Divorce
  • Marriage
  • Adding a Newborn
  • Adoption
  • Spouse/Dependent of International Student entering the U.S.


A written order from your primary care doctor for you to see a specialist or get certain medical services.

Visit HealthCare.gov to learn more.


Use this contact form to submit questions regarding enrollment, billing, and the waiver process of the student health plan. Concerns regarding enrollment in the student vision and dental plans, appeals, or special circumstances should be directed to JHUStudentBenefits@jhu.edu.