Student Health Benefit Plan
If you or your family encounter what is known in the insurance industry as a “life event” (i.e. being dropped from your parent’s health care plan due to age, having insurance that will not allow you to receive health care out of your demographic area), you might want to consider purchasing the student health benefit plan through Consolidated Health Plans (CHP). You may enroll in the student health benefit plan within 30 days of losing other coverage.
Benefits of this plan include:
- $250 deductible (reduced to $75 when you are referred by the SHWC to an outside health care provider/facility)
- Reduced co-pay for prescription medications purchased at the SHWC
- Prescription plan co-pay for outside pharmacies
- Medical benefits while traveling abroad (when plan guidelines are followed)
In addition, CHP also offers JHU students the following products that can be purchased through their website at an additional cost:
- International health insurance (included in the purchase price for the school insurance plan, but sold separately for students who travel abroad and whose private health insurance does not cover international travel)
- Preventive vaccines offered at the Student Health and Wellness Center that would not be covered elsewhere such as, typhoid vaccine, hepatitis A vaccine, etc.
If you have the Johns Hopkins University Student Health Benefit Plan, you must present your health insurance card in order to receive the co-pay price at the SHWC for medications, vaccinations, or medical supplies. Please note that the SHWC does not have enrollment forms.
Helpful Resources and Links
The SHWC Student Insurance and Referral Coordinator is available Monday through Friday to assist you with scheduling your SHWC provider-initiated referral appointment and to help you understand your claim:
Ms. Shawn Kelley
Student Insurance and Referral Coordinator
Student Health and Wellness Center
For enrollment information, contact:
Student Insurance Desk
Office of the Registrar
Johns Hopkins University
For questions about the Consolidated Health Plan, including insurance benefits, enrollment, prescriptions and claims processing, contact:
Consolidated Health Plans
1000 Great-West Drive
Kennett, MO 63857-3749
(Please refer to group#S210314)
Looking for a provider? A complete list of PPO providers is available through Cigna’s website or by contacting Consolidated Health Plans at (877) 657-5044. Prescriptions drug providers can be found through Cigna’s Pharmacy Plan online or by calling (877) 325-1404.