Event Registration and Sober Party Monitor Training Information
Social Event Registration Form
To facilitate a safe and healthy social environment for all of our students, we require all registered Hopkins student organizations to register any off-campus events.
The purpose of this registration form is three-fold:
- To support students and student groups in responsibly hosting events off-campus and in the communities contiguous to the Johns Hopkins Homewood campus;
- To educate students and student groups about the responsibilities of hosting events in off-campus venues and houses;
- To mitigate disturbances to the surrounding communities by providing support to students and student groups before and during their events.
Please follow the instructions below to register a social event 72-hours in advance of the event.
- Sign into Hopkins Groups.
- Go to your organization’s profile.
- Go to the events tab under your organization’s profile.
- Click “Create Event”.
Upon submission, a staff person will review your information and contact you with any necessary follow up. A confirmation email will be sent to indicate approval of the event.
Sober Party Monitors
Students that want to serve as a Sober Party Monitor must go through TIPS training. Student leaders requested that this be a requirement for any student organization hosting off-campus parties with alcohol. TIPS sessions are a chance for students to talk with other student leaders and learn skills regarding:
- The goals of hosting events with alcohol
- The roles and responsibilities of the Sober Party Monitor
- The risks associated with alcohol and other drug use
- How to promote safe social behaviors
- Resources and support for your group
- How to address potentially dangerous and questionable behavior among your guests, including over-consumption of alcohol and situations potentially involving sexual assault and safe ways to intervene
We ask that students who wish to become certified Sober Party Monitors sign up well in advance of their planned event, as trainings are not guaranteed to run even if your event is close to the training date. Each session has a limit of 35 participants.
Please note that first-year students are not allowed to attend the training or serve as Sober Party Monitors.
You only need to complete TIPS training once during your time at Hopkins. Registration is required. Registration will close once capacity is reached after which you will be placed on a waiting list or asked to select another session. If there are fewer than five people signed up we reserve the right to cancel that session.
Once you have registered, please plan to arrive at the training on time. If you arrive after the training starts, you will have to attend another session in order to be certified and receive your t-shirt.
If you are unable to attend a session you have registered for, please contact CHEW immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-516-8396 so we can open up your spot for another student interested in completing the training.
Visit Hopkins Groups to register for a TIPS training.