Work-study is a federally funded program that pays a portion or all of a student’s wage, depending on the position and type of work-study award. The 3 types of work-study our students are awarded include: Traditional, Community Service, and America Reads.
- Students may hold multiple campus jobs simultaneously. Thus, please remember to ask your student, at the time of hire, if they have another campus job using their FWS award. If so, you will need to take this into account when estimating how many hours the student can work in your department before their award is exhausted.
- All hours worked beyond the award limit will automatically be charged 100% to the hiring department.
- Undergraduate students, paid using work-study funding, MUST be compensated on an HOURLY basis.
FWS Award Look-up
JHU employers can retrieve Federal Work Study (FWS) information for students whom they wish to hire. This information is necessary for completing the ISR New Hire and/or FWS Job Continuation Form.
Once logged-in, you will be able to view the students FWS Award Type, Award Amount, Award Dates, and Current Balance. To get started, click > Login/Instructions. If you do not already have access click > Request Access.
Other Important Information
- Key Dates, FAQ, and more…
- Award Increases/Decreases
- Community Service/America Reads
- Continuing Students – Using FWS
- How to hire a student using work-study (FWS)
- How to pay FWS on a ‘salaried’ basis (Fro Grad Students ONLY)
- How does the SPLIT work?
- PDF Document: Intersession FWS Announcement (updated 11/16/16)
- Monitoring FWS Earnings
- Other Important Points
- Payroll Forms & How To
- Salary Guidelines
- Semi-Monthly Payment Method
- PDF Document: Summer FWS Announcement (Updated – 5/5/16)
- Undergrad vs Graduate
- Z- Codes