Degree seeking students registered at least half-time (6 credits) in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences (KSAS) & the Whiting School of Engineering (WSE) are eligible to work through the Office of University Experiential Learning. Other KSAS and WSE students who are eligible to work though University Experiential Learning include:

  • International students who are in their final semester, registered for less than full-load.
  • Visiting ‘exchange’ students to KSAS and WSE.
  • Students registered part-time who have a Federal Work Study award.

What happens after conferral?

Students on payroll who graduate must be terminated from their student position using the effective date of conferral; departments may not continue paying the students through the end of the conferral month. For example, if graduation is 5/24, the effective date on the ISR Termination must match the conferral date of 5/24, it cannot be 5/31. (This policy was established in 2014 by the Deans of ASEN, General Counsel, University Experiential Learning, and OIS).

The only exception to this rule is if the student is continuing into a full‑time JHU Masters or PhD program; in which case the hiring department may need to submit a reassignment.

If the student has FWS, any hours worked from the end date of FWS (fall award); through the end of December, would be charged 100% to the hiring department.

What about ‘incoming’ students?

Incoming KSAS and WSE students, who are pre-registered for the fall semester, including new graduate students accepted into a full-time program, are eligible to work through University Experiential Learning beginning July 1 (prior to their first day of classes).