Parent Information

Below is a collection of the most frequently asked questions from Blue Jay parents and families regarding student employment. We hope you find this information helpful and invite you to email us at

Why should Freshmen work?

Studies show that students who work have a higher retention rate than students who do not work while in school – especially freshmen. Campus employment can help freshmen acclimate to college life. They become better acquainted with faculty and staff and the workplace is a great way to meet other students and build friendships. Student employment offers students the opportunity to explore career options, develop practical and transferrable skills, and integrate classroom learning with the work experience.

Do students need Federal Work-Study to get a job?

NO. In fact, nearly 2000 undergraduates work on campus each year and fewer than half of them have work-study. However, if your student does have a work-study award, they will have an advantage over those students who do not since the work-study award pays a large portion of the hourly wage.

Is work-study taxable? YES, work-study earnings are subject to tax withholding. For more information, see Tax Information.

What documents are required to work?

All employees must complete a Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) — including student employees. In order to complete this form, students must provide valid documentation. Xeroxed & Faxed copies cannot be accepted. More information can be found on the Form I-9 page of our Student Handbook.

What is Non-Federal Work Study?

If your student’s financial aid package includes JHU Non-Federal Work Study, along with a dollar amount, please know that this is not an actual Federal Work Study (FWS) award. This line item refers to money that your student can earn by working on-campus through the Office of University Experiential Learning. With that said, please know that the majority of students who work on-campus each academic year do not have work-study. Nearly 2000 undergraduates work on campus annually and we typically have more student job openings than we can fill.

Therefore, please let your student know that if they wish to work on-campus, but were not awarded work-study, there is a sufficient number of Non-Federal Work Study campus jobs available each year. Also, on-campus refers to the Homewood campus as well as the Johns Hopkins schools of Medicine and Public Health; thus there is a wide variety of opportunities.

What type of jobs are available?

Students can work on any Johns Hopkins University campus, including the medical campus. Jobs range from Bilingual Translator to Research Assistant to Web Designer. New jobs are added daily and all positions are removed after 30 days unless the hiring department request otherwise.

Is there a job for every student who wishes to work?

While we cannot guarantee that every student wanting to work will find their preferred campus job, we can say that, on average, we typically have more positions than we can fill. Also, for those students who need help in their job search, our office offers individualized assistance to help your student secure a campus position.

Are student earnings subject to tax withholding?

Yes. Student earnings are subject to Maryland state tax, including Federal Work Study. This is due to the student’s local residency while here at school. The only exception to this tax rule is if the student resides in another state and commutes to and from school on a daily basis. If your student’s earnings fall below a certain level, they may qualify to be EXEMPT from tax withholding.

FICA Withholding – Students who are employed by the university through University Experiential Learning are exempt from FICA (Social Security & Medicare) during the academic year. This is based on the student’s enrollment status. Students who work during the summer months will have FICA withheld if they are not registered in at least a half-time course of study.

W-2 Form – Students who earn an hourly wage and/or salary from the University will be issued a W-2 form (report of annual earnings). Students will receive an email letting them know when their W-2 is available electronically through myJHU.

New York State Residents – Students who work for the university –and- are New York state residents, may also be subject to NY state tax withholding. Click the attached link for more information.

Is there time to work?An info graphic titled "Available Hours per Week" and using a pie graph.

After attending classes, studying, eating, and sleeping, the average Blue Jay will have approximately 45 hours of FREE TIME each week. Working on campus just 5 hours of that free time helps students connect with JHU faculty and staff who can help them to get connected to the university more quickly.

Do student earnings go toward their account (tuition)?

No. Students may elect direct deposit to any financial institution in the continental U.S. that participates in the Automatic Clearing House. Otherwise, they will receive a paper paycheck.