Form I-9

The U.S. government requires all employers to verify eligibility to work for each person they hire. As part of that verification process, a Form I-9 must be completed by all employees, including student employees. This refers to students who are new to the university payroll system or students who have had a break in service. If you are currently employed with the University, a new I-9 is not required.

Completing the Form I-9, Required State Notices and the Foreign National Information Form are important steps in your on-boarding process. Please read the following information to ensure these forms are completed properly and on time.

Completing the Form I-9

Federal law requires that all newly hired and rehired faculty, staff and student employees working in the United States complete a Form I-9. New hires can complete Section 1 of Form I-9 as early as 30 days prior to their start date and will have until the end of their first day of employment to complete. Section 2 of the Form I-9 must be completed no later than (3) business days (not including weekends or holidays) after their first day of work. To begin the process, you will need to (a) select your employee classification (new or returning after a break in service); and (b) enter your hire date and your home zip code or campus address zip code for JHU students in appropriate fields location on the JHU I-9 Compliance website: From there, you will receive instructions on how to complete Section 1 of your Form I-9 and will be able to schedule an in-person appointment to complete Section 2 of the Form I-9. If there are no appointments available within 3 days of your start date, please email for additional options. You must present original, unexpired documents to complete Section 2 of the Form I-9. The documents must be unexpired as of the date of hire. If you do not have original, unexpired documents, you must delay your I-9 appointment.

Foreign National Information

If you are a foreign national, who is not a legal permanent resident (green card holder), you must complete the Foreign National Information Form (FNIF) and upload the required documents at the secure link: If you do not have a Social Security Card (SSN) but have received a temporary ID number (TIN) that begins with the digits 988, enter that number on the FNIF. Questions related to the this form should be directed to

Foreign Nationals without a SSN

If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) that has been issued by the Social Security Administration, or if you have been given a temporary ID number (TIN) that begins with the numbers 988, leave the SSN field blank on the Form I-9 and select SSN Applied For. Do not enter the TIN on the Form I-9. You must apply for and obtain a Social Security card as soon as possible. The SSN is required to complete the I-9 process and to ensure that your payroll records are accurate. Once obtained, upload a copy of your SSN card using the link emailed to you through the ONBASE system (see Foreign National Information section above). The Social Security Letter Request Process section on this webpage will provide instructions on how to apply for your social security card.

Required State Notices

Certain states have notices that employers are required to provide to their employees, and employees must acknowledge receipt of the notice(s). If applicable to your state, you will receive an email from our compliance partner, Equifax, with instructions on how to acknowledge receipt of these notices. Questions about the required state notices can be directed to

What happens if I do not complete these forms on time?

All new hires are placed on I-9 hold until a completed Form I-9 is received and processed. You will not have access to update your tax or direct deposit information in Employee Self Service (ESS) until both the Form I-9 and the FNIF are completed. Failure to complete your Form I-9 within (three) 3 business days from your start date could jeopardize your continued employment with Johns Hopkins University.

If you have additional questions regarding the I-9 process, please email

Social Security Letter Request Process

For students who need to apply for their permanent U.S. Social Security Number after the completion of their I-9, go to the Social Security Letter Request process below.

  1. Visit the iHopkins web portal.
  2. Click ‘LOGIN’ under ‘Students/Scholars/Int’l Employees with Active JHED ID’.
  3. Log in with your JHED credentials.
  4. Click ‘University Employment’ on the left side of the screen.
  5. Select ‘SSN Letter Request.’ As part of this request, you will upload your Confirmation of Campus Employment Form.
  6. You will be contacted by email when your letter is ready and available for pick up in the OIS.

If you have any questions, contact

Re-Verification to extend Work Authorization End Date

All foreign nationals must present extensions to work authorization as soon as they become available but no more than 60 days prior to the expiration of your work authorization and no later than the date the work authorization expires. When your work authorization expires you can no longer work and receive pay and benefits from the University. To begin the process to extend your work authorization, please go to the I-9 Compliance Website: and select “I am a current employee and I need to update my work authorization.” Once you enter your home zip code you will be directed to schedule an appointment to complete Section 3 of your Form I-9 or be given instructions on how to extend your work authorization using an authorized agent.

The employee MUST present original, unexpired documents of their choice from the list of PDF Document: acceptable documents (List A or a combination of B and C) that indicate their classification is work authorized.

For Example:

  • F-1 Students – Form I-20 in combination with Form I-94 OR a JHU ID with photo and an unrestricted SS card or other acceptable List B and C documents
  • J-1 Students – Form DS-2019 in combination with Form I-94 OR acceptable List B and List C documents
  • H-1B Temporary Workers- Form I-94 for H-1B status OR For I-797 with I-94 attached OR acceptable List B and List C documents
  • H-1B – 240 day automatic extensions
    • Same Employer – I-94 Form
    • Switching Employers (Portability) I-94 Form and Foreign Passport
  • OPT – (First Time) -I-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card)
  • OPT STEM Extensions – 180 day automatic extension – Expired EAD in combination with form I-20 endorsed for STEM Extension.


Legal Permanent Residents

Legal Permanent Residents (LPR) are not subject to re-verification whether their LPR card has an expiration date of 2 years or 10 years. Only LPR who enter the country with the 1-551 temporary stamp in their foreign passport are subject to re-verification. In that case, the expiration would be 1 year from the date of entry.