The U.S. government requires all employers to verify eligibility to work for each person they hire. As part of that verification process, a Form I-9 must be completed by all employees, including student employees. This refers to students who are new to the university payroll system or students who have had a break in service.
There are two sections that must be completed on an employee’s initial Form I-9:
This section must be completed online by visiting www.newI9.com
- US citizens will use Employer Code 11472; for location choose “Students from KSAS and WSE”
- International students and permanent residents, please see instructions below.
- This section must be completed in-person at the University Experiential Learning office within 3-business days of the first day of work for pay; an appointment is required. Make an appointment.
- In order to complete section two, you MUST bring certain required documents to your appointment:
- PDF Document: Confirmation of Campus Employment
- Proof of employment eligibility documents – PDF Document: view the complete list of acceptable documents. Please note: Xeroxed and faxed copies cannot be accepted.
International Students and Permanent Residents
- For international students who do not have a social security number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration, you will complete Sections 1 & 2 of the Form I-9 during your appointment.
- For international students who have a social security number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration, you can complete Section 1 using the following steps:
- Sign on to www.newI9.com
- Insert employer code 11472 and “continue”
- Enter the text indicated in the box and “continue”
- Complete section one of the Form I-9
- Select “Non-U.S. citizen faculty, staff, and student” as location
- Review the information for accuracy
- Complete the agreement section
- Click “continue”
- Make an appointment with University Experiential Learning to complete section two
Social Security Letter Request Process
For students who need to apply for their permanent U.S. Social Security Number after the completion of their I-9, go to the Social Security Letter Request process below.
- Visit the iHopkins web portal.
- Click ‘LOGIN’ under ‘Students/Scholars/Int’l Employees with Active JHED ID’.
- Log in with your JHED credentials.
- Click ‘University Employment’ on the left side of the screen.
- Select ‘SSN Letter Request.’ As part of this request, you will upload your Confirmation of Campus Employment Form.
- You will be contacted by email when your letter is ready and available for pick up in the OIS.
If you have any questions, contact email@example.com.
Re-Verification to extend Work Authorization End Date
An individual whose employment authorization has expired must re-verify their form 1-9. Re-verification must occur no later than the date that employment authorization expires. The employee MUST present original documents of their choice from the list of PDF Document: acceptable documents (List A or C). Students may wish to present a combination of documents that indicate their classification is work authorized.
- F-1 Students – Form 1-20 in combination with Form 1-94
- J-1 Students – Form DS-2019 in combination with Form 1-94
- H1B Temporary Workers- Form 1-94
- H1B – 240 day automatic extensions
- Same Employer – 1-94 Form
- Switching Employers (Portability) 1-94 Form and Foreign Passport
- OPT – (First Time) -1-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card)
- OPT Stem Extensions – 180 day automatic extension – Expired EAD in combination with form 1-20 endorsed for Stem Extension.
Legal Permanent Residents
Legal Permanent Residents (LPR) are not subject to re-verification whether their LPR card has an expiration date of 2 years or 10 years. Only LPR who enter the country with the 1-551 temporary stamp in their foreign passport are subject to re-verification. In that case, the expiration would be 1 year from the date of entry.
What is next
- Make an appointment to re-verify your I-9.
- Bring original documents, copies cannot be accepted.
- Confirmation of Campus Employment from is NOT required for re-verification.
- Do NOT complete section 1 of Form I-9; it is NOT required for extensions.