The U.S. government requires all employers to verify eligibility to work for each person they hire. As part of that verification process, a Form I-9 must be completed by all employees, including student employees. This refers to students who are new to the university payroll system or students who have had a break in service.
There are two sections that must be completed on an employee’s initial Form I-9:
This section must be completed online by visiting www.newI9.com
- US citizens will use Employer Code 11472; for location choose “Students from KSAS and WSE”
- International students and permanent residents, please see instructions below.
- This section must be completed in-person at the Student Employment Services office within 3-business days of the first day of work for pay; an appointment is required. Make an appointment.
- In order to complete section two, you MUST bring certain required documents to your appointment:
- PDF Document: Confirmation of Campus Employment
- Proof of employment eligibility documents – click to PDF Document: view the complete list of acceptable documents. Please note: Xeroxed and faxed copies cannot be accepted.
International Students and Permanent Residents
- For international students who do not have a social security number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration, you will complete Sections 1 & 2 of the Form I-9 during your appointment.
- For international students who have a social security number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration, you can complete Section 1 using the following steps:
- Sign on to www.newI9.com
- Insert employer code 11472 and “continue”
- Enter the text indicated in the box and “continue”
- Complete section one of the Form I-9
- Select “Non-U.S. citizen faculty, staff, and student” as location
- Review the information for accuracy
- Complete the agreement section
- Click “continue”
- Make an appointment with SES to complete section two
- Re-Verification to extend Work Authorization End Date
An individual whose employment authorization has expired must re-verify their form 1-9 prior to their work authorization end date. This must be done in-person at the Student Employment Services office and an appointment is required. Make an appointment. Students MUST also bring certain required documents to their appointment from the PDF Document: list of acceptable documents (List A or C). The specific type of document/s depends on each students’ particular status. Students may wish to present a combination of documents that indicate their classification is work authorized. For Example:
- F-1 Students – Form 1-20 in combination with Form 1-94
- J-1 Students – Form DS-2019 in combination with Form 1-94
- H1B Temporary Workers- Form 1-94
- H1B – 240 day automatic extensions
- Same Employer – 1-94 Form
- Switching Employers (Portability) 1-94 Form and Foreign Passport
- OPT – (First Time) -1-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card)
- OPT Stem Extensions – 180 day automatic extension – Expired EAD in combination with form 1-20 endorsed for Stem Extension.
Also, please note:
- Confirmation of Campus Employment form is NOT required for re-verification appointments.
- Do NOT complete section 1 of Form 1-9, it is NOT required for extensions.
- Legal Permanent Residents
Legal Permanent Residents (LPR) are not subjected to re-verification whether their LPR card has an expiration date of 2 years or 10 years. Only LPR who enter the country with the 1-551 temporary stamp in their foreign passport are subject to re-verification. In that case, the expiration would be 1 year from the date of entry.