Form I-9

The U.S. government requires all employers to verify eligibility to work for each person they hire. As part of that verification process, a Form I-9 must be completed by all employees, including student employees. This refers to students who are new to the university payroll system or students who have had a break in service.

There are two sections that must be completed on an employee’s initial Form I-9:

Section One

This section must be completed online by visiting

  • US citizens will use Employer Code 11472; for location choose “Students from KSAS and WSE”
  • International students and permanent residents, please see instructions below.

Section Two

International Students and Permanent Residents

  • For international students who do not have a social security number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration, you will complete Sections 1 & 2 of the Form I-9 during your appointment.
  • For international students who have a social security number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration, you can complete Section 1 using the following steps:
  1. Sign on to
  2. Insert employer code 11472 and “continue”
  3. Enter the text indicated in the box and “continue”
  4. Complete section one of the Form I-9
  5. Select “Non-U.S. citizen faculty, staff, and student” as location
  6. Review the information for accuracy
  7. Complete the agreement section
  8. Click “continue”
  9. Make an appointment with SES to complete section two

For students who need a copy of their I-94 Admission Number, go to I-94 Instructions. Be sure to print a copy to bring with you to your Form I-9 appointment.


  • Re-Verification to extend Work Authorization End Date

An individual whose employment authorization has expired must re-verify their form 1-9 prior to their work authorization end date.  This must be done in-person at the Student Employment Services office and an appointment is required. Make an appointment.  Students MUST also bring certain required documents to their appointment from the PDF Document: list of acceptable documents (List A or C).  The specific type of document/s depends on each students’ particular status.  Students may wish to present a combination of documents that indicate their classification is work authorized.   For Example

  • F-1 Students – Form 1-20 in combination with Form 1-94
  • J-1 Students – Form DS-2019 in combination with Form 1-94
  • H1B Temporary Workers- Form 1-94
  • H1B – 240 day automatic extensions
  • Same Employer – 1-94 Form
  • Switching Employers (Portability) 1-94 Form and Foreign Passport
  • OPT – (First Time) -1-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card)
  • OPT Stem Extensions – 180 day automatic extension – Expired EAD in combination with form 1-20 endorsed for Stem Extension.

Also, please note:

  • Confirmation of Campus Employment form is NOT required for re-verification appointments.
  • Do NOT complete section 1 of Form 1-9, it is NOT required for extensions.



  •  Legal Permanent Residents

Legal Permanent Residents (LPR) are not subjected to re-verification whether their LPR card has an expiration date of 2 years or 10 years. Only LPR who enter the country with the 1-551 temporary stamp in their foreign passport are subject to re-verification. In that case, the expiration would be 1 year from the date of entry.

Related Links