Your Paycheck

Effective Immediately, student employee checks are not available for pickup and will be mailed to students. Please make sure your address is updated and accurate in ESS. We encourage all students to sign up for direct deposit immediately (directions below).


All students are paid semi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month unless otherwise noted. This includes students paid hourly and/or salaried. If the 15th or last day of the month fall on a weekend or holiday, pay is issued the day before. You can always go to Employee Self Service to view your pay stub and/or see if a check has been issued for a particular pay date.

Direct Deposit

All students who work for the university may elect direct deposit to any financial institution in the continental United States participating in the Automated Clearing House. For more information, visit our direct deposit page.

If you do not elect direct deposit and are paid hourly, you will be issued a paper check which you must pick up from University Experiential Learning. Students who elect to receive paper checks may pick up their check(s) from their hiring department. Our office is open 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.; we are closed 1–2 p.m. daily.

Unclaimed Paychecks

Students who do not elect direct deposit must visit our office to sign-for and claim their check/s. Checks left unclaimed for more than 5 business days will receive an email reminder. This notification alerts the student that if left unclaimed for more than 2 weeks from the date of notice, the paycheck/s will be mailed to the students’ permanent home address listed in the University payroll system. Follow this link for more information on direct deposit.

Lost, Stolen, or Outdated Checks

If you have lost your paycheck, had it stolen, or have not cashed your check within the 120 day limit, you must complete the PDF Document: Stop Payment/Re-Issue Check Request form (PDF) to have the check reissued. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of University Experiential Learning. The expected turn-around time can be up to 7 days.

Having Trouble Getting Paid?

Let us assist you. If talking with your supervisor hasn’t helped, we encourage you to email us at

Mail Code (Employer Use Only)

Students who are paid hourly must have mail-code F11 (Personnel Administrator) to ensure their paycheck and other payroll-related documents are forwarded to University Experiential Learning. Undergraduates who are paid a salary may have the mail-code of their hiring department, provided it is a Homewood mail-code. Graduate students who are paid salary by their graduate department should use that department’s mail-code; this especially applies to concurrent employment.

For example: A graduate student in the History department with a teaching assistantship (salary) who works for the MSE Library (hourly) should have the History department’s mail code for both jobs.