Tax Information

Student earnings are subject to Maryland state tax, including Federal Work Study. This is due to your local residency while here at school. The only exception to this tax rule is if you reside in another state and commute to and from school on a daily basis.

  • New student employees, not yet set-up in the university payroll system, should visit the office of University Experiential Learning to complete and submit their tax forms. For your convenience, our office provides both the Federal and Maryland State Tax Withholding forms as well as sample instructions for claiming “exempt” status. To know if you qualify to claim exempt from withholding, please click the appropriate link below.
  • Students who are already in the university payroll system may submit and update their Maryland and Federal tax withholding exemption(s) directly online using the Employee Self-Service system.

Tax Withholding Requirements for Students who are New York State Residents – Students who work for the university –and- are New York state residents, your earnings may also be subject to NY state tax withholding. This includes New York City and Yonkers personal income tax, if applicable. To claim exemption from withholding for New York State personal income tax, you must meet the conditions as instructed and complete the PDF Document: Form IT-2104-E. You will submit the completed/signed form to the Office of University Experiential Learning.

For students who do not wish to claim exempt from New York tax withholding, you must submit the PDF Document: Form IT-2014.