Fellowships & Taxes – FAQ

Questions regularly arise regarding Fellowship payments to both undergraduate as well as graduate students. The most frequent of these questions pertain to the proper classification of payment. More specifically, whether the payment should be classified as a Wage/Salary or Fellowship – AND – are Fellowship payments subject to tax?

The University Finance, Tax Office, provides answers to these questions and many others; go to FAQ – Fellowship Payments

If you still have tax related questions for which you cannot find the answer, please contact the University Tax Office at 443-997-8688 or email tax@jhu.edu.