Work Study (FWS)

What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study is a federally funded program that pays a portion of the student’s wage. In some cases, FWS covers the entire wage, depending on type of position (i.e., America Reads, etc.). The FWS/Department Budget split is:

  • Traditional (FWS): 70% Federal budget / 30% Employer budget
  • Community Service: 90% Federal budget / 10% Employer budget
  • America Reads: 100% Federal budget

How does it work?

Students with a FWS award have an advantage during the hiring process because the employer pays only a fraction of the total wage; the remaining portion is covered by the award. For example, if the job pays $10 per hour, the student receives the full $10 but the employer’s budget is charged on 25% (or) $2.50 per hour. There is no difference in how a student with FWS applies for a campus job, gets hired, and receives their pay – it is a budgetary difference only.

Students can use their FWS award for most all campus jobs. Therefore, do NOT limit your job search to only those positions that read ‘work-study required’. Instead, students should apply for all campus jobs that interest them and let the employer know that they have work-study during the interview. Once hired, the student will need to provide the employer with a copy of their on-line FWS Authorization Form. Using MyJHU, sign in to SIS and select the appropriate academic year, click on the FWS Authorization Form, save as a PDF, and email to your employer.

FWS Authorization Form

Students who are hired using work-study must provide their employer (hiring department) with a copy of their FWS Authorization Form. This is an on-line form available in SIS. The student must go to MyJHU and sign in to SIS, select the appropriate academic year and click on the Federal Work Study Authorization Form. This form can be saved as a PDF to provide/email to the campus employer.

What is Non-Federal Work Study?

Some students will see JHU Non-Federal Work Study listed in their financial aid package, along with a dollar amount. If you see this line item in your package, please know that this is not a Federal Work Study (FWS) award. It refers to money that you can earn by working on campus through the Office of University Experiential Learning. But not to worry! Nearly 2000 undergraduates work on campus each year and fewer than half of them have work-study. Student jobs are posted daily and we typically have more openings than we fill. Therefore, please know that if they wish to work on-campus, but were not awarded work-study, there is a sufficient number of ‘non’ work study campus jobs available each year. Also, on-campus refers to the Homewood campus as well as the Johns Hopkins schools of Medicine and Public Health; thus there is a wide variety of opportunities.

To view current job openings take the 4-Steps to Student Employment.

What else do I need to know about FWS?

  • FWS is “earned” money paid through a student job. Students choose which job(s) they want to apply for and do so directly through the Student Jobs Database.
  • FWS earnings are subject to tax withholding. For more information, see the Tax Information page.
  • FWS cannot be credited to a student’s tuition bill. The student will receive their pay either by check or direct deposit.
  • Students are paid semi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month unless otherwise noted.
  • Students may have both an FWS position and a non-FWS position simultaneously. However, hours worked per week is limited to 19.99 — all jobs combined.
  • Students and their supervisors are expected to keep track of cumulative FWS earnings to ensure that students do not exceed their FWS award. Note, there is no limit on non-FWS earnings.
  • Students are advised to ask the employer, at the time of hire, what will happen if their award is exhausted. Will the job continue on a non-FWS basis?