Third Party Payers
The Johns Hopkins University (JHU) Third Party Payer (TPP) Team coordinates the third party payer contracts process. This team prepares and sends invoices for qualified tuition and fees, maintains third party payer and related student accounts, and manages all correspondence regarding these contracts.
What is a Third Party Payer?
A third party payer is an organization that sponsors all or part of a student’s tuition and fees. Examples include: domestic or foreign companies, corporations, foreign embassies, state prepaid tuition programs, and state/federal government agencies (including the military and VA). At present, this does not include AmeriCorps.
A reimbursement is not considered a form of third party billing. A family member or friend is not considered a third party payer for this purpose. JHU does not accept contracts with third party payers that require grade/transcript review before payment. Conditions on contracts are not eligible for third party billing.
Students must obtain an authorization letter (also known as a contract or sponsor agreement) from their third party payer and submit to JHU via SIS Self Service (see instructions below).
Once the letter is uploaded, the TPP Team will review and approve it. They will then apply a temporary credit for the expected funding amount to the student’s account and will bill the sponsor for the student’s allowed expenses.
JHU must have a contract and/or Letter of Authorization on file for each semester/term for which a third party payer is sponsoring a student.
Students must submit an authorization letter (also known as a contract or sponsor agreement). It must be written in English, be payable in U.S. Dollars, and include the following:
- Student’s legal first and last name
- Student’s Hopkins six-digit ID# (an alphanumeric or numeric code located in the upper right corner in SIS Self-Service)
- U.S. Dollar amount that the third party payer will be responsible for paying
- Semester/term, or duration of program covered by the contract
- A listing of specific charges that will be covered
- Any restrictions on fees/charges that will not be covered
- Third party payer’s billing address
- Name, email address, and phone of contact person at third party payer
- Signature of authorized representative (if required by the third party payer)
- Purchase order or contract number for unique identification (if required by the third party payer)
Note: JHU does not accept contracts with Third Party Payers that require grade/transcript review before payment. Conditions on contracts are not eligible for Third Party billing.
Information for Students: How to Submit Your Contract
- Review this PDF Document: detailed pdf tutorial on the contact submission process.
- Once you are enrolled in classes, you should submit your documentation via SIS self-service.
- To do this, go to SIS Self Service, click the Billing tab, and select Third Party Billing.
- Select the name of your third party payer from the drop down menu. (Note: if your payer is not listed, email TPPTeam@jhu.edu to have them added. The team will notify you once this is complete and then you can finish the process.)
- You will receive an email notification upon submission.
- Once the contract is submitted, a member of the TPP Team will review the contract and generate an email notification to confirm receipt of the contract. If any information is missing, the Team will request updates/revisions and ask that the contract be re-submitted.
- Your account will be offset with the anticipated payment amount for the duration of the current semester, or until physical payment is received.
- Throughout this process, you will be able to track status of documentation through SIS self-service.
Information for Third Party Payers
- Johns Hopkins University will invoice your organization after the start of the term/semester. Bills will be sent to you based on instructions you have provided in your documentation.
- Payment is due upon receipt of the invoice. Payments should be sent to the TPP Team at the address below, NOT to individual JHU schools.
All questions and any payments sent by mail should be directed to:
Third Party Payer Team
Johns Hopkins University
Garland Hall, B33
3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218