Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, HSO Auditions will be significantly modified. Please see details below and contact email@example.com with any questions. We sincerely hope to resume normal auditions in Fall 2021.
2021 Spring Auditions
- Auditions will be open to JHU students only.
- Auditions for Spring will be done by online submission and must be submitted by – Fri, Jan 29, 5pm, details below.
- Audition results will be emailed by Friday, Feb. 5, 5pm.
Audition Process & Info
- Record by video the following:
- Two contrasting solo selections totaling no more than 10 minutes. Choose selections that show a range of your abilities but does not exceed them.
- Two major scales
- Strings: Two octave major scale of your choice with spicatto (bouncing bow), and a two octave Eflat Major Scale
- Winds: Two octave scale of your choice with slur-two tongue-two articulation, and a two octave E Major scale all slurred
- The recording should be a new recording of your playing, no previous recitals or other recordings, and should be without accompaniment.
- Store your video file in a cloud location where you can share the link for HSO to access it (i.e. Google drive, Over Drive, Drop Box, etc.)
- Fill out the audition form and include the link to your cloud-stored video file.
- If you are auditioning on more than one instrument you may do so on the same file.
- This recording should not be produced professionally. Recording yourself on a phone or laptop is acceptable and expected.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
You will be informed of the results of your audition by email by Friday, Feb. 5, 5pm (subject to change). Typically, auditionees are informed of what ensemble they are placed into, the Symphony or Concert orchestra , view a comparison of the two orchestras. For this year, due to Covid-19, we will assess which students are on campus or want to participate and engage in activities that are currently safe and possible. When restrictions can be safely lifted and more activities resume we will communicate with all members about ensemble options and may request in-person auditions when that is a viable option. We thank you in advance for your understanding and flexibility during this challenging time.
2020 Fall Plans
Please note: Hopkins Symphony Orchestra does not take part in the Johns Hopkins University admissions process. Applicants to JHU who wish to submit a music resume and recording should send them directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.