The Interfaith Council is a student committee that operates through Religious & Spiritual Life and the Bunting Meyerhoff Interfaith and Community Service Center. It is composed of members of various student religious groups on campus who, although they may have differing viewpoints, have one vision in common: to sponsor and work towards establishing a cooperative community spirit among religious groups on the Hopkins campus and to dispel the myths and misunderstandings others may hold about various religions, faiths, and belief systems. The members of the council are all students who have undertaken the task of establishing a bond of mutual respect and understanding between the groups that they represent.
The members of the Interfaith Council recognize the legitimacy of other religious groups on campus, in that each religious organization has the right to practice its individual traditions and exist peacefully on the campus, as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States of America. In addition, all members of the Interfaith Council must ensure that every religious group represented on the campus has the ability to practice its religious traditions unencumbered by the administration, faculty, or other students.
Interfaith Statement of Cooperation
- In our outreach to the university community and in all our activities we respect the privacy of the individual, the integrity and legitimacy of the diverse religious traditions in our midst.
- We seek to represent the beliefs of other faiths fairly and accurately.
- We seek to create dialogue with all Interfaith Council and Religious and Spiritual Life Advisory Board members in order to increase understanding and mutual support of our common mission to serve the university community.
- Membership in our groups will rest solely on free choice and will not be the result of coercive or intrusive recruiting techniques.
- All of our literature and publicity will clearly identify the sponsoring organization and, when helpful for clarification, the nature and goals of the group.