Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions within Student Accounts. If you have further questions, please contact us at 410-516-8158, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. You can also request support through SEAM’s online form.

I forgot my user ID or password (Students Only).

Please contact our Information Technology Help Desk at or dial 410-516-HELP for assistance with your account. Please note there may be a delay when waiting for a telephone response due to a high volume of calls. If you are an authorized user, please remember that only the student may reset an authorized user’s login or password.

I am a JHU student and want to set up “Authorized User(s)” to view/pay my account.

You can allow others access to your account by logging into SIS and choosing the “View My Bill” selection which enables you to set up authorized payers to view/pay the account. After you have set up users, it is your responsibility to share the assigned login and password with additional viewers. Please note that only the student may reset an authorized user’s login or password.

I want to view/pay my bill.

You may view/pay your student account balance in SIS after selecting the “View My Bill” option.

I am an “Authorized User” and want to view/pay my student’s bill.

You may view/pay your student’s account balance at by using the login designated for you by the student, which will allow you to view and pay the account. Please note that only the student may reset an authorized user’s login or password.

Can I pay my bill with a credit card?

Only evening school students (Advanced Academic Programs and Engineering Programs for Professionals) are allowed to pay tuition via American Express, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. Credit card payments are not accepted for full or part-time students attending Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering during the fall and spring semesters.

Can I pay my bill over the phone?

No, you are not able to pay by telephone. However, we offer the following options when paying your account:

  • Pay online with SIS self-service.
  • Make a wire transfer payment .
  • Paying in person, we accept personal checks, money orders, and traveler’s checks.
  • Please note that credit cards are not accepted for full-time students.

Do I have to pay my balance in full?

The university must receive the full amount due by the due date. If full payment is not received by this date, registration and continuing enrollment may be denied. If JHU accepts payments that contain or reflect “paid in full” or other restrictive endorsements, JHU does not lose any of its rights to collect any amount due.

Can I pay by installments?

To help you afford education expenses, Johns Hopkins University is pleased to make the services of Nelnet Campus Commerce available to you and your family (available to full-time undergrads only). Nelnet Campus Commerce’s Interest-Free Monthly Payment Option allows you to spread your education expenses over smaller monthly installments for only a small enrollment fee. There is no interest and no pre-qualification or credit check for this service. With this payment plan you have 24-hour access to account information, and personal account service Monday through Saturday. Education Payment Partners are available to help you determine the best payment option for your education costs. For more information on your specific payment options or to enroll in the Interest-Free Monthly Payment Plan, visit the Nelnet website or call 1-800-722-4867 and speak with an Education Payment Partner.

Why isn’t Federal Work Study credit on my bill?

These funds are not applied to your student account. You will be paid weekly through the university’s payroll system by the employing department based on the hours you work. Your work-study check cannot be applied to your account. You must deposit the paycheck in your personal banking account and write a check payable to Johns Hopkins University.

Do you accept post-dated checks?

The university does not accept post-dated checks.

What if my check is returned by my bank?

A check not honored by the bank is subject to a $25 returned check fee. The university reserves the right to require a cashier or certified check on future payments.

Do you accept third-party billing?

Third-party payment is when a domestic or foreign company, corporation, state or government agency has been granted, by JHU, special billing arrangements to cover tuition and other fees for students that they sponsor. JHU must have a letter of authorization or contract each semester uploaded via SIS.
Letter of Authorization from the Sponsor includes:

  1. Student’s name
  2. Student’s ID#
  3. Semester employer is covering
  4. Charges for which they will be responsible
  5. Address where to send the bill
  6. Contact person’s name, telephone number, or email
  7. Signature of appropriate officer (HR, supervisor, etc . . .)
  8. Purchase order if required by employer
  9. Payment due upon receipt of invoice

Can employer reimbursement be used for tuitional payment?

Employer reimbursement is not a method of payment for registration, if there is a contingency. You must make a personal payment at the time of registration and wait for your reimbursement from your employer.

Can I use JHU tuition remission?

If you are a JHU employee participating in the JHU tuition remission benefit plan, please note the following:

  • Eligible faculty, staff and bargaining unit members:
    • Remission will now cover some required fees, visit the JHU Benefits site for more info,
    • Should attach the Bright Horizons EdAssist Application Payment Processed email using SEAM’s online form for payment processing
    • Need an invoice to submit to Bright Horizons/EdAssist? Just log in to your SIS self-service account and view/print your monthly statement(s) that contain the course info you need. Multiple statements can be submitted to Bright Horizons.
  • Eligible spouse, domestic partner and dependent children should attach their JHU tuition remission benefit application using SEAM’s online form for payment processing
  • Retirees should attach their JHU tuition remission benefit application using SEAM’s online form for payment processing
  • No remission applications will be accepted from spouse/domestic partner/dependent/retiree after December 15 for courses taken during the current calendar year.
  • If the remission does not cover the entire cost of tuition, you are required to pay the remaining balance at the time of registration.
  • You can select the monthly payment plan to pay for tuition not covered by the tuition remission benefit or choose to be electronically billed.
  • Allow 7-10 days from submission for your remission to reflect on your student account
  • Please note that students are financially responsible for dropped courses paid for with tuition remission. Students receiving tuition remission benefits from JHU should read the contract carefully, as you must complete the class to retain benefits.
  • Contact the Benefits Service Center at 410-516-2000 or to address any additional questions.

How do I request a TL11A form?

Form TL11A is solely for JHU students whose record includes Canada as their Country of Citizenship and are using the form for tax filing purposes. Students can use SEAM’s online form to request a completed TL11A, where our office will report applicable tuition and fees for a given academic year. Please include your JHU ID# in your email.

Does JHU have a tax ID number?

Yes, our tax ID number is 52-0595110.