Credit Balances & Refunds
You may be entitled to a credit balance refund when payments to your SIS account, including financial aid awards, scholarships, institutional Aid, DGA and loan disbursements, exceed your Johns Hopkins University tuition and fees and other charges for a given semester. The Homewood Student Accounts team reviews and processes according to the Credit Refund Schedule. In anticipating payment of a refund, here are a few important facts to keep in mind:
- Credit refunds are issued on Disbursed Aid, and not Anticipated Aid or Financial Aid Memos.
- Anticipated Aid or Financial Aid Memos temporarily reduce the account balance owed and represents aid that has not been funded to Johns Hopkins. Please contact Student Financial Support for more information.
- There is no need to request a refund. The Student Accounts team will review and process refunds automatically according to the Credit Refund Schedule.
- Refunds of credit balances are issued to the student. Some exceptions are made for Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loans).
- You will receive an email notification to the preferred email address in SIS once the refund is processed by the JHU Treasury Department.
- Upon withdrawal for a term, students utilizing military TA assistance for tuition support will have their funds returned to the US government according to the return policy for Title IV federal aid. More information about this policy can be found here.
Johns Hopkins University students may be eligible to receive refunds resulting from credit balances in their student accounts. We now issue refunds electronically through Flywire. Log in to the SIS self-service student portal; click on Billing, Summary and Set Up Direct Deposit. Be sure to verify your address as well since checks are mailed as a default if direct deposit hasn’t been set up. Go to Personal Info then Summary to verify your mailing address.