IT@Johns Hopkins would like to take this time to welcome you to Johns Hopkins University and also introduce you to the Student Residential Network, or ResNet. ResNet is the free high-speed Internet network service we provide to all students on campus living in university housing, or attending Johns Hopkins University. ResNet provides wired and wireless network services, as well as technical support services, for student computers that are not covered under the Johns Hopkins Mobile Computing Program (MCP) Laptop Service.
ResNet wired and wireless service is available in all student rooms in university housing. Student housing areas include:
- AMR I
- AMR II
- AMR III Building A
- AMR III Building B
- Wolman Hall
- McCoy Hall
- Scott-Bates Commons (formerly Charles Commons)
- Bradford Apartments
- Homewood Apartments
- Rogers House
Please refer to the links on the left to find any information you may want to know concerning the IT-related services we offer and support we provide.
It is our pleasure to provide this service to the students attending here, and hope we are able to help promote a good study and social environment.
JHU IT COVID Message of Support:
- Obviously this year is a little unconventional with the COVID Virus. But we will strive to provide the best support we can, as if things were normal, while complying with any JHU COVID procedures/restrictions. Please understand that we can only visit Dorm rooms on an unavoidable basis, but we will do all we can to troubleshoot/resolve any issues remotely/virtually. Please call the IT Help Desk 410-516-HELP (4357) to open a ticket as normal if you are experiencing issues connecting your devices to the wired/wireless network while in one of the JHU Campus Residence Halls.
- For general JHU COVID Information (not IT related), please visit the COVID information website.
General Connectivity Announcements:
- Issues connecting? During the Move-In period you can visit our on-site ResNet IT Event for assistance. Please visit the ‘Information for Incoming First-Year Students’ link on the left for event details/dates & times. After the Move-In period, if you need assistance connecting, please visit our ‘Getting More Help/Contact Us’ page on the left for information on how to do so.
- Need an Ethernet Cable? Please visit the Wolman Hall Housing Office, AMR 2 ResLife Office, or the JHU Tech Store in Levering Hall (M-F 9a-5p) to obtain one for free.
- AMR A & B Residents – We upgraded the wireless in your Dorm rooms by installing a new wireless device in every room. For Wired and Wireless Connectivity in these buildings, please check out this one page document: PDF Document: AMR A & B Network Connectivity
- JHU Technology Center – Technical Assistance and the Tech Store (previously in Garland Hall) are in one location on the 1st Floor of Levering Hall, in the Sherwood Room.
Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Issues Connecting to Wireless on Android OS (Pixel, Samsung, HTC, etc.) Phone or Tablet? In Wireless Settings, Set ‘Phase 2 authentication’ to ‘MSCHAPV2’, ‘EAP Method’ to ‘PEAP’, enter ‘ad.jhu.edu’ for the Domain, and enter your Hopkins credentials in the appropriate fields.
- Wireless printers and devices such as the Amazon Echo, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Google Home are not supported on the “hopkins” Wireless Network. For more information on this please visit the wireless devices page.
- Outside/exterior wireless continues to improve around campus, with many locations already being supported.
- Wireless SSID/Network “eduroam” – You can connect to this wireless network on our campus, and any other campus worldwide participating in ‘eduroam’, using your Hopkins credentials. Please visit the IT@JH Wireless Network Center for more information and instructions on connecting to ‘eduroam’.
Anti-Virus/Endpoint Protection / Device Security
- If you have old and/or outdated Anti-Virus Software on your system, it is Strongly Advised that All JHU Students, Faculty, and Staff Remove Old Antivirus Software, and Install one of the alternative software products provided on the IT@JH Security Antivirus / Endpoint Protection Downloads webpage.
For more information and instructions, please visit the IT@JH Security Antivirus website.
- FrontDoor Anti-Theft Laptop Security Software available to JHU Students – ‘Protect your laptop, information, music, emails, and pictures with FrontDoor Laptop Loss & Recovery Software for Free’ (if you have a valid ‘@jhu.edu’ e-mail address). Please visit www.frontdoorsoftware.com/jhu/ for more information.
To report a new issue, please visit our Getting More Help / Contact Us page.