Services & Support
Having trouble with your computer or network connection? The IT Services team is here to help! Explore below to learn more about the services and support that we provide.
When requesting support, please be prepared to provide as much information as possible:
- Explain the problem you are having with your computer or network connection.
- Let us know when the problem began.
- Explain what you were doing when you noticed the problem and how often the problem occurs.
- Provide contact information, including your phone number, an email address, and your building and room number.
- Please give times when you will be available for a technician to contact you about your issue.
Computers purchased through the Computer Purchase Program are eligible to receive complete hardware and software support through the Technology Store—no appointment necessary! Computers not purchased through the CPP are eligible for limited hardware support (depending on manufacture warranty status) and assistance with network connectivity issues and virus and spyware removal. The Technology Store is an Apple Authorized Service Provider, and our technicians are Apple, Dell and Hewlett-Packard certified. Review the support policies and procedures for more information.
Introducing Fixit for Mobile Devices
Johns Hopkins has partnered with Fixt to offer on-site repair services for mobile devices. To request service, simply submit a repair request and Fixt will send a certified technician to your office, home, dorm, or local coffee shop in just two hours or less. You can view all pricing before you submit your request. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To get help with a technology-related problem, call the Helpdesk at 410-516-HELP (4357). Someone is available at this number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If your issue cannot be resolved over the phone, you will be given a trouble ticket number. Please remember the number as you will need to refer to if you contact the Helpdesk again about the problem.
Another way to contact the Helpdesk is by submitting a ticket online via the myJH Portal. To submit a ticket, follow these instructions:
- Log into the myJH Portal using your Hopkins ID (JHED ID) and password.
- Hover over the “Helpdesk” icon, located in the left toolbar, and select “Report a Problem” from the available options.
- Input the required information as well as any additional information you feel could be needed.
- Click the “submit” button to send your issue to Helpdesk personnel. A confirmation email with a ticket number will be sent to your inbox shortly.
Reporting a Computer Lab Issue
To report an issue with a computer lab or kiosk, please complete an Assist Me form.
Policies & Procedures
- Computers purchased through the Computer Purchase Program receive total hardware and software support. Computers not purchased through the CPP may be eligible for hardware support, so long as they are still covered under the manufacturer warranty.
- All students participating in the CPP are entitled to a loaner while their laptop is being repaired. Students who are not participating in the CPP may be eligible for a loaner depending on their model.
- Turnaround repair time is estimated to be an average of three business days.
- For computers not purchased through the CPP, technicians will reload an operating system, but only if a student has a copy of their operation system. Linux operating systems are not supported.
- If technicians are unable to resolve wireless connectivity issues within 30 minutes, the computer will need to be checked in for service. The average turnaround time for wireless configuration issues is an estimated two days.
- Technicians are also available to assist with Resnet connectivity issues. Technicians will check to see if the connectivity issue is with the student’s computer or if the problem is with the data jack in the student’s dorm room. Resnet will be notified if the issue is with the student’s data jack. Computers that are not purchased through the CPP and appear to have connectivity problems will be checked in for service. The average estimated turnaround time for Resnet computer support is 5-7 business days.
- Support is available for Office 365, including email configuration on a mobile device. Alumni are also eligible to receive assistance with their Office 365 issues.
- Students are strongly encouraged to continuously back up their data on their laptop in the event there is a problem with their hard drive. Technology Store technicians provide data backup only in the event of a hardware issue. Technicians also assist JHU affiliates with installing anti-virus software which JHU provides Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection as a free download to students.