Services & Support
Having trouble with your computer or network connection? The IT Services team is here to help! Explore below to learn more about the services and support that we provide.
When requesting support, please be prepared to provide as much information as possible:
- Explain the problem you are having with your computer or network connection.
- Let us know when the problem began.
- Explain what you were doing when you noticed the problem and how often the problem occurs.
- Provide contact information, including your phone number, an email address, and your building and room number.
- Please give times when you will be available for a technician to contact you about your issue.
In-Person – Student IT Support
Students are encouraged to visit our Technology Center located in Garland Hall room 010 (basement) adjacent to the Registrar’s Office. Our support technicians are available Monday – Friday from 9:00am until 4:30pm for in-person problem resolution and consultations. No appointment is needed!
Computers purchased through the Computer Purchase Program are eligible to receive complete hardware and software support, including loaner laptops when necessary. Computers not purchased through the CPP are still eligible for hardware support (depending on manufacture warranty status) and assistance with network connectivity issues, email and virus and spyware removal. Our support center is an Apple Authorized Service Provider, and our technicians are Apple, Dell and Hewlett-Packard certified. Review the support policies and procedures for more information.
Introducing Fixit for Mobile Devices
Johns Hopkins has partnered with Fixt to offer on-site repair services for mobile devices. To request service, simply submit a repair request and Fixt will send a certified technician to your office, home, dorm, or local coffee shop in just two hours or less. You can view all pricing before you submit your request. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reporting a Computer Lab Issue
To report an issue with a computer lab or kiosk (NOT an issue with your personal device or account), please complete an Assist Me form.
Policies & Procedures
- Computers purchased through the Computer Purchase Program receive total hardware and software support. Computers not purchased through the CPP may be eligible for hardware support, so long as they are still covered under the manufacturer warranty.
- All students participating in the CPP are entitled to a loaner while their laptop is being repaired. Students who are not participating in the CPP may be eligible for a loaner depending on their model.
- Turnaround repair time is estimated to be an average of three business days.
- For computers not purchased through the CPP, technicians will reload an operating system, but only if a student has a copy of their operation system. Linux operating systems are not supported.
- If technicians are unable to resolve wireless connectivity issues within 30 minutes, the computer will need to be checked in for service. The average turnaround time for wireless configuration issues is an estimated two days.
- Technicians are also available to assist with Resnet connectivity issues. Technicians will check to see if the connectivity issue is with the student’s computer or if the problem is with the data jack in the student’s dorm room. Resnet will be notified if the issue is with the student’s data jack. Computers that are not purchased through the CPP and appear to have connectivity problems will be checked in for service. The average estimated turnaround time for Resnet computer support is 5-7 business days.
- Support is available for Office 365, including email configuration on a mobile device. Alumni are also eligible to receive assistance with their Office 365 issues.
- Students are strongly encouraged to continuously back up their data on their laptop in the event there is a problem with their hard drive. Technology Store technicians provide data backup only in the event of a hardware issue. Technicians also assist JHU affiliates with installing anti-virus software which JHU provides Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection as a free download to students.
For more information on IT-related policies, visit the Johns Hopkins Information Technology Policies website.