Alane Lim, Fulbright Academic Grant, 2013–2014

Alane Lim

“At first, I’d chosen to go to Germany mainly to establish international contacts within a country having a strong scientific presence in physical chemistry. But even though I have accomplished that, the most important thing I’ve taken away—please bear with me here—is personal growth.

“Admittedly, the first months were hard. I didn’t know any German when I first came. There were also many bureaucratic matters, settled with hand gestures and dubious translation. Most of all, though, I am a quiet person. I admired but had difficulty adapting to German culture, where individuals tend to be more honest and straightforward about even negative opinions. However, as I learned more German and tried communicating to people on a day to day basis, I discovered ways to say things more simply and clearly. (In German, for instance, you can convey an entirely new idea by putting multiple words together, and I was trying to apply a similar idea to English.) I’m still not that talkative, but at the very least I’ve found myself a bit more articulate and less afraid to say something contrary. I honestly don’t think that I would have developed in this manner if I hadn’t come to Germany.

“All in all, I am very glad I came to study here. I’ve made friends, enjoyed the pervasive public transportation, and finally truly realized just how important knowing foreign languages is for accessing the world around us.”

Alane Lim

Tags: , ,