What’s the Fulbright?

The Fulbright is an umbrella organization for many programs joined in the goal of promoting cultural exchange. Since 2008, 168 students and alums from Johns Hopkins have been awarded Fulbright grants to study, do research, and teach English and American culture in 58 countries around the world. Recent Fulbright winners from JHU have taught English to university and professional students in Poland and researched health care access for migrant workers in Eastern China, among many other projects that draw on – and help develop – a wide range of academic fields, interests, and skills. A complete list of winners from Johns Hopkins is available on the Fulbright website.

Are you eligible to apply?

We work with undergraduate, graduate students, and recent alums interested in pursuing study, research, creative work, or teaching English abroad through the Fulbright US Student Program. To apply for a Fulbright Grant, you must be a US citizen and at least a graduating senior at the time of application.

To learn more about the nuts and bolts of the Fulbright US Student Program, watch our “What is the Fulbright?” presentation, and visit our Fulbright Study/Research Award, Fulbright Study/Research Award for the E. Baltimore and SAIS, and Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship pages. Also check out our Fulbright videos, recorded by JHU Fulbright candidates and grantees, about their experiences applying and in-country.

Interested in applying for a Fulbright this cycle?

Applications for 2021-22 grants were submitted in October 2020. If you wish to apply for the next grant cycle, 2022-23, please watch this website and campus media for announcements about our Fulbright information sessions in April and early May 2021. After attending an info session, prospective applicants will be invited to enroll on one of our Fulbright Blackboard sites and submit a Fulbright intent form* in May or June (deadlines vary by JHU campus) to officially begin the application process.

*Please note: the intent form is a document available only on our Blackboard sites; it is not the general inquiry form found on this website.

JHU has been named a top-producing institution of Fulbright student grant winners for the 10th year in a row.

Sasha with fellow studentsThe Fulbright ETA in Brazil gave me the chance to explore many different potential career paths. In addition to the hands-on experience working in a university setting, through my side project I gained important experience in public health research.
Sasha Guttentag, Fulbright ETA

Are you an international student or scholar?

The Fulbright also brings foreign students and scholars to the US; we do not advise applicants for these programs. If you are an international student interested in applying for a Fulbright to study at JHU or an international scholar interested in an affiliation with JHU, please contact your home country’s Fulbright Commission or US embassy.