Luce Scholars Program
Is it for you?
The award provides for a year-long internship in Asia, arranged for each Scholar on the basis of their specific interests, background, qualifications, and experience. The program was designed as a cultural experience for young leaders who have had no prior exposure to Asia or at least to their intended host region, and who might not otherwise have an opportunity in the normal course of their careers to come to know Asia or their Asian counterparts and contemporaries. The program seeks to broaden their professional perspective and to sharpen their perceptions of Asia, of America, and of themselves.
What are the key dates?
Official deadline: October 1, 2022
Are you eligible?
Candidates for the Luce Scholarship must:
- be U.S. citizens or permanent residents who hold at least a bachelor’s degree (in any field).
- be under the age of 32 or no more than three years out from receiving bachelor’s degree.
- not have majored in Asian Studies.
Candidates who have spent a significant amount of time (an accumulated total of 24 weeks since beginning college) in one of the countries where Luce Scholars are placed are now eligible to apply to be placed in a country where they do not have significant experience.
How do you work with the NFP?
The timeline gives an overview of the application process. Your first step is to contact NFP by emailing or attending office hours. In preparation, explore the resources below to learn about the Luce.
|Summer/early Fall||Contact NFP to learn more; begin working on application materials|
|October 1||Meet Luce official deadline|
Are you competitive?
About 18 scholarships are awarded each year. By the official deadline, applicants must complete and submit the Luce online application, which includes:
- Biographical information questions
- 1 to 2 short answer questions
- Personal statement: This carefully crafted essay should convey a sense of who you are and reflect on your personal journey, your long-range profession interests and how they have developed, how you have embodied your own kind of leadership, and how a year in Asia with Luce might be transformative.
- An informal 1-3 minute video response
- A 400-word bio written in third person
- 2 Letters of recommendation: Recommenders must upload their letters (in PDF, signed, and on letterhead) to the Luce online application.
- Academic Transcript(s)
- Optional supplemental portfolio, additional writing sample or other submission
(Please note: the Luce is making significant changes to the application with the fall 2022 competition; more details will be added as they become available.)