Practice Room Policies
Location and Hours
Updated 5/22/23, subject to change
- Location: Shriver Hall Basement
- Summer Operating Hours: Currently closed, pending staffing.
- planned for Mon-Fri 10am-6pm, closed weekends, closed holidays. start date TBD, pending staffing
- Academic Year Operating Hours: 10am–10pm 7 days a week (begins August 29, 2022), closures on university holidays
- Spring Break Hours:
- Practice rooms closed, due to staffing. Will reopen and resume on Monday, 3/27
- Holiday Break Hours:
- 11/19-11/28: Practice Rooms Closed
- 11/29-12/10: 10am-10pm regular hours
- 12/10-12/23: Schedule subject to change, reduced hours
- 12/24-1/22: Closed over holiday and intersession
- 1/23/23: First day of classes, hours resume as normal
- Due to sound bleed, wind instruments may be restricted during limited times when events are occurring in the Shriver Hall auditorium. These will often be on select Sunday afternoons, but times and dates may vary. A tentative schedule of these dates is viewable here, subject to change. With questions/concerns, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Availability and Access
- Rooms are first-come first-served and administered by on-site student monitors.
- There are 8 practice rooms, 7 with grand pianos and 1 with a drum set and upright piano. Classroom 28G may be used if not reserved or in-use.
- Practice room use for JHU Homewood students, staff, faculty only, or those taking classes on the Homewood campus. Other users may request permission by emailing email@example.com and include your JHED ID and current Homewood activities.
- Users must have an active Hopkins Groups account, a valid JHU ID, and will check the room out with the Student Monitor on duty. If a user needs a Hopkins Groups account (typically non-Homewood students) please fill out this form.
- If you have questions or requests, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Users may practice for 90 minutes and must vacate if there is a waiting list for room use.
- Final slot ends 15 minutes before close time.
- No food or drink is allowed at any time.
- Do not place anything on the pianos except for sheet music.
- Equipment may not be removed from the practice rooms.
- When finished, the room must be left clean, with lights off, and keys returned to the Student Monitor.
- Failure to adhere to these policies will result in practice room access being revoked.
- All policies subject to change.
- Email email@example.com with questions.