Get to know the Baltimore arts scene—attend an exciting concert, play or dance program for free!
For Homewood undergraduate students only.
Requests open as of August 15.
To request a free ticket to an event, email Eric Beatty, Director of Homewood Arts Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
List the name and date of the HopArt event you would like to attend.
Include your name, class and phone number.
FACULTY: If you would like to attend an event, email email@example.com with info or questions.
Fall Semester 2017 Events
The Color Purple
Music & Lyrics by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis & Stephen Bray
Book by Marsh Norman
Sunday, Oct. 22, 1pm
With a soul-raising score of jazz, gospel, ragtime and blues, The Color Purple is a stunning re-imagining of an epic story about a young woman’s journey to love and triumph in the American South. 2016 Tony Award winner for Best Musical Revival. Learn more.
Sol Gabetta performs Tchaikovsky
Sunday, Oct. 29, 3pm
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
Grammy nominated artist Sol Gabetta’s performance of Tchaikovsky’s Variations on a Rococo Theme for cello and orchestra accents this program of musical iconoclasts. Also included are works by Mendelssohn, Debussy and R. Strauss. Learn more.
Shakespeare in Love
Based on the screenplay by Marc Norman & Tom Stoppard
Adapted for the stage by Lee Hall
Baltimore Center Stage
A charming story of love, inspiration, muses and art, based on the Oscar-winning film. A smart and poignant tale that will delight anyone familiar with the Bard—or simply the English language. Set in the time when a Londoner could still utter the words: “Shakespeare? Never heard of him.” Variety called it a “big hearted hit.” Learn more.
By Lynn Nottage
Esther is a talented African American seamstress in turn-of-the-century New York who has built a savings for herself making beautiful undergarments, while earnestly daydreaming of new beginnings and romantic possibilities. But when an egregious deception cuts short heartfelt desires, can class, culture and circumstance outmatch the strength of human spirit? Inspired by a true story, Intimate Apparel is a heart-rending work from the first female playwright to win two Pulitzers. Learn more.
Pinchas Zukerman performs Bach
Saturday, Nov. 11, 8pm
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
A phenomenon in the world of music as both violinist and conductor, the legendary Pinchas Zukerman performs Bach’s A Minor Concerto. Also included are works by Schoenberg and Beethoven. Learn more.
The Lion King
Sunday, Dec. 3, 1pm
The Tony Award-winning Broadway sensation that is visually stunning, technically astounding and with a musical score like none other you’ve ever heard. Newsweek called it “a landmark event in entertainment.” Learn more.
- Each event will have 10 student tickets available.
- Open to Homewood undergraduate students only.
- There will be a random drawing to select which students attend.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified via email approximately two weeks in advance of the event. You must reply within two days to confirm that you will attend.
- A wait list will be kept in case of cancellations. If a ticket becomes available, the next student on the wait list will be contacted as soon as possible.
- Two faculty and/or staff will attend with you.
- If time permits after the event, the group will gather at a restaurant for food and conversation.
- You can request multiple events. If you attend an event, you will be placed at the end of the wait list for any further events for the semester.
- If you got a ticket for an event in the previous semester and did not attend nor let the organizers know you could not attend, you will not be considered for an event this semester.
- Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact the Director of Homewood Arts Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-516-8208. We ask that requests for accommodation be made at least three business days before the event.
HopArt is sponsored by the Office of the Dean of Student Life. Special thanks to the Parents Fund for co-sponsoring this amazing opportunity!