Obtain a J-Card
The process for obtaining a J-Card varies between students, faculty and staff. Follow the steps below to obtain your J-Card.
Incoming First-Year Students
One of the first steps in the New Student Portal is to upload a color picture of yourself so your J-Card can be ready when you arrive for move-in.
When taking or selecting your photo, please keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Passport and graduation photos are ideal.
- Choose a plain, indoor background, as outside shots do not reproduce well on the card.
- Only the image of your head, neck, and shoulders will be printed on your J-Card, so if your head takes up too small a portion of the picture, it will be difficult to reproduce for your card.
- Do not wear sunglasses, hats, or hairstyles obscuring your eyes.
Once your photo has been uploaded, the J-Card Office will print your J-Card and deliver it to the Office of Housing and Dining Services, where it will be included in your Move-In/Key packet. If you have any trouble with the upload, please send an e-mail containing your JHED ID and attached picture to email@example.com.
New Students in Part-Time Programs
If you are enrolled in one of the following programs, follow these links for information on obtaining your J-Card:
- Advanced Academic Programs (Washington, D.C. campus)
- Carey Business School
- Engineering for Professionals
- School of Advanced International Studies (Washington, D.C. campus)
If you will be taking courses on the Homewood campus, you are welcome to stop by the J-Card Office to receive a J-Card, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. We are located at:
3400 N. Charles Street
51 Garland Hall
Baltimore, MD 21218
Online students may also request a J-Card if they desire.
Full-Time ASEN Graduate Students
Faculty and Staff
All full-time, part-time, and casual faculty and staff are eligible to receive a J-Card, which serves as the official University identification card. Once you have your Hopkins ID number, please visit the J-Card Office in Garland 51 to obtain your J-Card.
On the Homewood campus, your J-Card can provide access to the Milton S. Eisenhower Library, parking facilities, and the Ralph S. O’Connor Recreation Center. You can also deposit J-Cash to your card and take advantage of the convenient, cashless way to pay for your purchases on campus or at participating off-campus merchants.