- Student groups must be approved and registered with the Student Activities Office in order to use Arellano Theater.
- The use of Arellano Theater for rehearsals and tech work must be scheduled with the Director of the Homewood Arts Programs. All rehearsals and tech work must finish by the time Levering closes. Levering standard hours areMonday-Thursday 7:30am – 12am
Friday 7:30am – 2 am
Saturday 9am – 2 am
Sunday 9am – 12 am
These hours are subject to change during official university closings, inter-session, holiday breaks and summer sessions.
- Student theatre groups which perform in Arellano should provide the following:
- Stage Manager
- Set Designer
- Light Designer
- Sound Designer
- Costume Designer
- People to build the set
- People to help focus lights
- Light Board operator
- Sound Board operator
- Front of House personnel during the shows to take tickets, admit latecomers, handle audience emergencies, etc…
- Groups should send an email to the Director of Operations for Levering listing the set pieces and props to be used in their upcoming show. From that communication, the necessity of a meeting with the head student proctors of Arellano can be determined.
- Arellano is equipped with basic set pieces for performances, including several flats, a door unit, and blocks. If these items need repair, contact the Tech Director of Homewood Arts Programs. If these items are missing, contact the Director of Operations for Levering Union. These set pieces should be returned to the backstage area immediately following the final show.
- Groups may bring in small set pieces, props, and costumes from their personal or group storage to use during rehearsals and peformances. These items may be stored in Arellano during the assigned rehearsal and performance period.All props and furninture items that belong to the group must be removed from Arellano immediately following the final show. Student groups will be charged for removal if not completely cleared by midnight of the final show. An email to the Director of Operations for Levering can be sent in advance if a group requests an exemption to this schedule. A large trash can and bags can be provided for trash and must be set by the curb behind Levering so that bagged garbage can be removed free of charge.
- Wire racks in the closet by the staircase as well as in the closet on stage left, back stage can be used for prop storage during rehearsal and shows– these closets are lockable.
- No storage will be provided in Arellano for any items during any time outside the rehearsal and production period.
- Set construction and painting of any kind is not allowed in Arellano.
- Use of power tools is not allowed in Arellano.
- Nothing may be attached to the permanent walls of Arellano, without prior approval from the Director of Operations for Levering Union.
- If additional lighting equipment is needed, a group may rent it. All rented equipment should be used on the side stage area or at the back of the audience. Lighting cable may not run inside the ceiling panels.
- Members of the group will do the actual assembling of the set, hang and focus the lights, progam the light board, and run the light and sound boards.
- Spike tape is permitted for rehearsals and performances, but it must be removed by midnight of final show or the group will be charged. Do not use masking tape or painters tape.
- Groups may not use Levering Union furniture as part of their set.
- All fabrics that are used as set dressing anywhere close to stage lights must be flame retardant. This is due to their potential contact with the lighting equipment. Rosebrand is a theatrical fabric supplier that can verify the flame- retardant characteristics of its products. If you have any questions or doubts about whether a potential item is flame retardant, please consult with the HAP Tech Director.
- No food or drink (except for water bottles) is allowed in the theater. Please do not place your feet on the chairs, or allow the audience members to do so. Students groups will be held responsible for any damages and/or excessive cleaning required. This may result in fines or limited use of the venue.
- No smoking or open flames are allowed in Arellano, either during rehearsals or on stage during a show.
- No alcohol or illegal drugs are allowed at any time in Arellano.
- No type of real gun or weapon is allowed on campus. If a student theatre group wants to use a prop gun, sword, or weapon in a campus production, a representative from the group must get prior approval to use the prop from both the Tech Director of HAP and JHU Security. It is required to have the actual prop to show the Tech Director and Security when you are seeking permission to use it. Permission must also be granted for any sounds that the prop makes when used. The prop must be kept in a locked box and a notice must be placed in the program that a prop gun or weapon will be used in the play.To have a prop gun or other weapon approved, take it during normal weekday business hours to the JHU Security Office in the basement of Shriver Hall. You can show it to either Investigator Dennis Rosemary or Investigator Joseph Cooper. One of them should be available. If you wish to make an appointment, call x4600 beforehand to set up a time.
There is no guarantee the prop will be approved. If it is not approved, either another prop must be presented for approval, or any stage action relating to the prop must be cut from the production. It is recommended that when the group is considering choosing a play in which the use of a gun or weapon is integral to the action, that it get approval of the prop before the choice of play is confirmed.
The group must inform the Tech Director of the final decision from JHU Security.
- A MD law requires a place of assembly with more than 50 people to have a crowd manager. The student producer (or other person who will make the pre-show announcement and be on site for the full show) needs to announce to the audience before the show about emergency exits and no food or drink in the theater. Current policies about certification for crowd management are under review.
These policies are subject to revision