Where to Eat
Homewood Dining Locations
As Johns Hopkins University’s premier “all-you-care-to-eat” facility, Fresh Food Café, also known as FFC, has an endless list of daily options and around-the-clock hours, there is an almost-constant opportunity for Blue Jays to enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner at their leisure.
- Breakfast: Our breakfasts include fresh and light options to start the day right, heartier offerings for those who savor the morning meal, and a variety of ready-to-go items for those on the run. Everything is wholesome and freshly-made, so it’s easy for guests to make choices that will provide them with a nutritious jump-start to a busy day.
- Salad Bar: We have a love affair with salads. You will, too, when you sample the variety of flavors and textures at our salad bar. The very embodiment of our Farm to Fork program, our salad bar is sure to please even the toughest critic.
- Kettles: We make all our soups from scratch, daily. That means everything down to the stock. We believe that’s the only way to achieve the deep, soul-satisfying flavors that a good bowl of soup provides. Whether you love a hearty bowl of chili, a light and healthy summer minestrone, or a comforting bowl of chicken noodle soup, you’ll find a favorite every season of the year.
- Scratch: Here is where you will find American regional classics. The foods we grew up on, the foods that comfort us, the foods that our grandmothers and mothers made. When Blue Jays have a longing for the familiar or need a little comfortable reassurance, this is where they come.
- Sizzle: Cooking meat over an open fire is one of the most elemental and cross-cultural cooking techniques known to man. At our Sizzle station, prepare to be “wowed” by our high-quality, locally raised beef burgers, our sophisticated daily specials and delicious favorites like pulled pork barbecue and grilled marinated chicken.
- Global: A world of flavor presented to you live. Using fresh ingredients and timeless techniques from all around the globe, our chefs create cooked-to-order, authentic dishes that are vibrant, exciting, and always flavorful. We offer plenty of choices for every palate.
- Dal Forno: Our pizza is made the way it should be—by hand. We start with the finest-quality flour and mix and knead it with proper care. We make our sauces in-house, by combining tomatoes with garlic, aromatic herbs, and fruity olive oil—simple ingredients to let the flavor of the tomatoes shine. Our toppings are our own—pestos and homemade meatballs, house-roasted vegetables and a special blend of five cheeses.
- Root: Enjoy vegetarian and vegan cooked fresh, with vegetable broths, slow-fermented tempeh and miso, the freshest vegetables, and a passion for lively flavors. From vegan takes of traditional comfort foods to dishes that celebrate the culinary innovations of the world’s best vegan cuisine, our cafes cater to every palate while honoring and supporting the vegan lifestyle.
- Deli: The art of a perfect sandwich. House-roasted turkey and roast beef, premium deli meat options and a mind-blowing selection of cheeses and other “fixings.” Perfectly-roasted vegetables for a vegetarian version and a generous variety of locally-baked breads and rolls will help to make the Dagwood station compatible to anyone’s tastes!
Meals to Go at the Fresh Food Cafe
We know there are times when Blue Jays are busy and may not be able to enjoy a leisurely meal at the Fresh Food Cafe every day. That’s why we offer the convenience of a to-go program at the FFC.
During any breakfast, lunch/brunch or dinner meal period, Blue Jays can fill to-go containers with a reasonable, well-balanced meal (e.g. entrée, 2 sides, salad, dessert and beverage) and enjoy a great meal on the run or in the comfort of their room or suite. Once the Blue Jay has filled the supplied container, they must take their meal to go. Compostable silverware and napkins are provided for all Meals to Go participants.
Blue Jays may use the Meals to Go Program up to three of their meal swipes daily. We reserve the right to revoke this convenience if abused at any time.
Nolan’s on 33rd is the place to be in the evening, now an all-you-care to eat- venue. There is something for every Blue Jay. Second-year students and upperclassmen find it the hotspot to chill by the fireplace and dine on their favorite items. Check out the new stations and concepts below:
My Kitchen: This is a palce where students can make it their own. They will have a choice of meats and vegetables along with various topping for them to make their own sandwich the way they want it. Once the sandwich is complete they will have the option to heat their sandwich on the sandwich press. Students will have pantry right next to them so that they can top their sandwich off with any kind of sauce or chutney available in pantry. You can also use the wok's to make your own stir fry or rice bowl.
- Pantry: Just like home the place to find all you need to finish or/and enhance your dinner, also the place to find allergen friendly ingredients. Pantry items: cereals, sunflower seeds, goldfish, fruit chips, croutons, craisin, cranberry, raisins, pretzel pieces, salt, pepper, hot sauces, mustards, chutneys, relish, ketchup, mayo, honey-dijon, BBQ sauce, Nolan’s burger sauces, EVOO, different vinegars, spice shakers: cumin, red pepper flakes, cajun, garlic, oregano, parmesan and montreal steak.
- Spoon: Daily soup, and a daily finisher to enhance today’s menu.
- Passport: Enjoy the best of international world cuisines, created daily by our chefs.
- Mediterranean and Middle Eastern, Greece, Turkey, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisian, Persia, Egypt
- Asian: Regional Chinese, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Philippines, Korea, Japan, Taiwan,Cambodia, Burma
- Europe: Italia, France, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Poland, Scandinavia, Belgium
- Africa, the Caribbean and all other Island cuisines
- South Americas, Mexico, Nuevo Latino
- Dough: Chef crafted composed baked pasta and pizza, flat breads, calzones, grinders, etc., rotating daily. Sample menu:
- Baked Ziti, Bolognese, ricotta
- Pesto gnocchi
- Mac and cheese
- Pasta puttanesca
Composed pasta will be prepared in small batch and will be rotating daily, rotating selection to include meats and vegetarian/vegan options. Depending on offering complimentary sides shall be offered, such as: garlic bread, assorted toppings, extra sauce, grated cheese, spices. Calzones, stombolis, 16”, deep dish, stuffed, knots and rolls, white, pesto, naan, pita, French bread. Subs/meatballs, chicken parm, sausages, paninis, ethnic flat breads, naan, pita, focaccia, lavash. Make your own- individual pizza brushed with EVOO or classic red sauce, toppings: onions, peppers, olives, mushrooms, pepperoni, sausage, spinach.
- Garden: Make your own salads with assorted topping including ultra-local greens, savory proteins, veggies and other fresh made toppings along with scratch-made dressings and vinaigrettes. An assortment of crunch toppings, sugared nuts, dried fruits and seeds can be added.
- Char: Made to order burgers, grilled chicken breast, hot dogs, Mama Mia burgers, specialty sandwiches with daily fries. Rotating daily fries, curly, waffle, sweet potato, hand cut, tots.
- Sweet: Every Blue Jay loves a little dessert. Sweet pulls the best dessert traditions from around the culinary globe. We feature the classics as well as childhood favorites. Chef Rufus made mini pastries, cookies and cobblers also featuring Baltimore’s own Taharka Brothers ice cream.
Meals to Go at Nolan’s
We know there are times when Blue Jays are busy and may not be able to enjoy dinner at the Nolan’s every evening. That’s why we continue to offer the convenience of a to-go program at the Nolan’s.
Blue Jays can fill a to-go container with a reasonable, well-balanced meal (e.g. entrée, 2 sides, salad, dessert and beverage) and enjoy a great meal on the run or in the comfort of their room or suite. Once the Blue Jay has filled the supplied container, they must take their meal to go. Compostable silverware and napkins are provided for all Meals to Go participants.
Blue Jays may use the Meals to Go Program up to three of their daily meal swipes. We reserve the right to revoke this convenience if abused at any time.
Charles Street Market, also known as Char Mar,is a place Blue Jays can stop by and grab a variety of grocery items including fresh local produce, a large selection of dry grocery goods, frozen entrees and desserts, a large beverage selection and a bulk items area with items ranging from grains, pasta, varieties of granola and dried fruits along with candy. The Charles Street Market also has make your-own salad bar and daily soup selection as well as offers an in-house deli (The Corner Deli) with a variety of made-to-order sandwiches and wraps along with many already pre-made entrees and sides to choose from.
When time is at a premium, we offer our Meals in a Minute Program. Offered on class days, students on the anytime, 19, 14, 10 meals per week plan, or Block 40 or 80 plans can take advantage of this program. MIM provide students with a choice of a sandwich or entree salad, two sides and a beverage.
Located inside of the Charles Street Market, Crepe Studio brings a great new variety to campus offering savory and sweet crepes, a tantalizing menu of salads, flat breads, bagels and sandwiches. Chesapeake Bay Roasting Company also offers many hot and cold beverages throughout the year.
Levering Kitchens is Hopkins’ official lunch spot. Featuring hand-rolled sushi, a soup-salad-sandwich concept, and a hot grilled-to-order station with lots of options, Levering Kitchens brings a restaurant-quality experience to the center of campus.
- One Bowl: Capturing a collection of “hot pot” traditions from all over the Asian continent. You can expect Phó, Chinese-style rice dishes and ramen to be regular options. View the One Bowl menu.
- Crust and Wraps: Fabulous, made-from-scratch pizzas made using the finest ingredients. Our chefs make the crust, sauces and prepare all the toppings right here in the kitchen. Also choose from a hand-crafted wrap of different flavors from Asian to Italian. View the Crust and Wraps menu.
- Greens : Up for a little fresh salad (just the way you like it) layered with your favorite “fixings”? Look no further than Greens. View the Greens menu.
- Toastee: variety of grilled cheeses with many different varieties along with your favorite tomato soup. View the Toastee menu.
- Express: Grab and go items at your convenience for those in a hurry. Just have to grab the item and check out at the register. Items include: pre-packaged sandwiches, salads, fruit, yogurt and pudding parfaits, etc.
Located on the first floor of Levering Hall, the Levering Cafe offers locally-roasted fair trade coffees and teas as well as a host of refreshing smoothies, grab and go meal options, soups and hot and cereals and a wide selection of bagels and pastries. A great atmosphere surrounds you as you sit in the wood-paneled hall and relax with your hot (or iced) beverage and watch the traffic or work on a class project.
Located inside the Mattin Center, Bamboo Café offers many cuisines from the Asian continent. Bamboo café strives to offer unique and authentic flavors for the Hopkins Community. The café menu offers items such as Curry Rice Dishes, Ramen Noodle Soups, Donburi Bowls, Bahn Mi Sandwiches, Bento Boxes, Sushi Rolled to Order and prepackaged, side salads and soups, bubble tea and smoothies, and mochi and green tea ice creams. A very popular time of the day at the Café is Sushi Happy Hour offering select rolls for $3.50 from 2-5PM Daily. Bamboo Café prepares all of the sushi fresh daily for Charles Street Market and Levering Kitchens retail locations.
Located in Homewood Apartments, the LaB is a great late night spot to hang out, watch TV, play video games, board games or just relax. Open 7 days a week from 7pm to 2am, it is a great spot to end the day. Stop by Sunday nights for SMASH 4 Weekly Game Night or Mondays for JHUnions Trivia Nights. Check out our events calendar for other fun events and activities at the LaB and many of our other locations.
Peabody Institute Dining Locations
Our Dining Hall is the perfect place to catch up with friends while you venture to one of the many stations serving anything from made-to-order international fare, mouth-watering grilled items, and crispy salads to classic deli sandwiches and hot home-style entrées.
Maestro’s Café offers locally-roasted fair trade coffees and teas as well as a host of refreshing smoothies, grab and go meal options, soups and hot cereals, and a wide selection of bagels and pastries. A great atmosphere surrounds you as you sit and relax with your hot (or iced) beverage, catch up with friends, or work on a class project.