Gender Affirming Closet
About the GAC
The Gender Affirming Closet (GAC) was established as a part of the 2023 Diversity Innovation Grant Cycle. Dr. Abbey Nawrocki, Associate Director of Gender & Sexuality Resources, and Erin Fox, Sr. Manager, Strategic Initiatives put forth the proposal, which was accepted for funding in January 2023. The main focus of the GAC is to provide students with an opportunity to explore their gender expression in ways that may otherwise be inaccessible to them due to un-affirming environments and access to adequate funds. However, the GAC and related resources are available to all Hopkins affiliates. The GAC project includes:
- Purchase of new clothing, cosmetics, binders, etc. to be given at no cost
- Opportunity to request funding for the purchase of an outfit/item/tailoring service, etc.
- Clothing drives throughout the year
Accessing the GAC
During the academic year
The GAC is open two days a week: Tuesdays from 2pm-5pm and Fridays from 12pm-3pm.
If you can’t make it during those times, no problem— appointments available upon request as GSR staff availability allows. Email email@example.com for more information.
Over the summer
Over the summer, people can request emergency services (for more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org). Otherwise, the GAC will be open for two weeks only: Pride Week and Welcome Week. More information about these times will be provided as they get closer.
Getting Involved with the GAC
There are several ways for our partners to support this project!
- Donate clothes during an active clothing drive
- Share information and advertisements about the GAC with your network
- Coordinate with GSR to host the GAC on your campus or at your event (coming soon!)
In the future, we’d like to host GAC pop-ups— opportunities to host the GAC on your campus or at your event. More information on pop-ups and how to request them coming soon!