Getting Started/New Students
Welcome to Johns Hopkins University! Below you’ll find information on our web-based student information system, instructions for setting up your Johns Hopkins Enterprise Directory (JHED) password and JHU email, and answers to frequently asked questions about web registration.
Fall 2020 New Student Registration Dates
Student Information Services (SIS)
Student Information Services Self-Service for Students is used by Arts & Sciences and Engineering undergraduate and graduate students for viewing and conducting transactions for registration, financial, and billing.
Your Hopkins ID
The Hopkins ID is a six character alphanumeric identifier which uniquely identifies a member of the Johns Hopkins community. The purpose of the Hopkins ID is for identification of individuals at Johns Hopkins in connection with routine institutional business. It is intended to replace social security numbers for this purpose, thus reducing the risk of identity theft. The Hopkins ID is not used for authentication or access to any systems or services, and, like names, it is neither private nor confidential. It will be used solely by institutional officials in carrying out official business activities.
To find your Hopkins ID, visit SIS and enter your JHED ID and password. Your Hopkins ID will be located at the top of the “Announcement” page. If you have questions, please call 410-516-8080.
Johns Hopkins Enterprise Directory (JHED)
The JHED system is an online, comprehensive source of contact information for Johns Hopkins University faculty, staff and student that grants access to resources like the myJH portal, SIS and JHU email.
Please note that you have 60 days to access and create your password before your JHED account is locked. After 60 days or if you need additional assistance creating your JHED password, contact the JHU Technology Help Desk at 410-735-HELP (4357) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
JHED Login ID
Your JHED Login ID (which is also referred to as your JHED ID or your JHED LID) is the username that you use when you log into the JHED system. New students should have received an email containing their JHED ID. If you have not received your JHED ID via email, please contact email@example.com or call 410-516-8080.
Creating Your JHED Password
To create your JHED password, follow these steps:
- Go to my.jhu.edu and click “First Time User?” in the left menu.
- Enter your Login ID. This is the ID you received via email. If you have not received the “Your Johns Hopkins JHED Login ID” email, do not try to search your yourself. Instead, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-516-8080.
- Type in the characters of the image. Click “continue.”
- Create and confirm your password, in accordance with the password policy.
- Enter your date of birth.
- Enter the last five digits of your Government ID (SSN). International students will be sent an email at their personal email address. This email will include their ID number to use as their JHU Government ID.
- If you are an International student and have not received the “Johns Hopkins Government ID” email, please contact email@example.com or call 410-516-8080.
- Select three security questions and answers. Click “continue.”
- After receiving confirmation that your password is set, you may log in with your JHED ID.
Be sure to remember your JHED Login ID and password! This is confidential information; do not share your password with anyone.
Activating your JHED Email
To activate your JHED email, follow the appropriate steps below.
Note: You must wait at least two hours after creating your JHED password to activate to your JHED email. After waiting at least two hours, please complete the following steps in a single session. It should take approximately 30 minutes to complete the steps below.
- Review the JHU Information Technology Policies and agree to abide by them.
- Provide the requested information in SIS using the “Edit” button. Be sure to mouse over the “?” for details. Once you have provided the requested information, you will need to click “Information is complete and correct” to continue.
- If “Please Make Your Primary Campus Selection” appears, select “Homewood Campus” and click “submit.”
- Review the Academic Ethics Code, and Student Conduct Code and Student Life Policies, and agree to abide by these policies.
- Upload a color photo to be used for your J-Card.
- Accept the Terms of Service for JHU email account (Outlook 365@Hopkins).
- You will receive a “Welcome to Johns Hopkins University” message which will display your @jhu.edu email address. Click “continue.”
- You are now directed to your New Student Portal To-Do List.
Note: Please note that the JHED directory synching process will take at least one hour to complete.
- Go to my.jh.edu.
- Click “Sign In” and enter your JHED ID and password. Press “Login.”
- You will be prompted to accept the Office 365 Terms of Service (scroll to the bottom to accept).
- A link to Office 365 should now appear on the left menu (if not available, please contact JHU Technology Help Desk).
Frequently Asked Questions
All continuing Arts & Sciences or Engineering students who are cleared by their academic adviser for web registration may register via the web. Students will be able to update their personal information, register for their courses, view/print a confirmation, and check their grades.
Go to SIS. At the logon screen, enter your JHED ID and password. (Click on the JHED link to obtain your JHED logon identification.)
Web registration will not be available for:
- Interdivisional registration
- Cooperative registration
- Independent study/research/internship
- Satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading option
- Graduate-level courses (for undergraduate students)
- Late registrations
- Part-time undergraduate students/Pay-per-credit undergraduate students
To register for any of the above, submit forms with the appropriate signature(s) to the Office of the Registrar.
Questions regarding the login process should be directed to the Support Center a 410-516-HELP during the hours of 7 a.m.–9 p.m.
Questions regarding web registration should be directed to the Office of the Registrar, Monday through Friday, at 410-516-8080 during the hours of 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must logon at least one time in JHED to obtain your login identification. You may look up your name on JHED and then click on the logon link and follow the directions to login and obtain your JHED login.
Web registration is available over the Internet as long as you have working access (i.e. have your JHED login identification and password).