Interdivisional Registration

Qualified (full-time and degree seeking) students may request to take courses at other divisions of the university by completing an Interdivisional Registration (IDR) Form and obtaining the appropriate approvals.

PDF Document: IDR – Arts & Sciences
PDF Document: IDR – Engineering

Paper forms are available in the SEAM Office (Levering 102), or from Arts & Sciences Academic Advising (Wyman 170AA), and Engineering Academic Advising (Wyman 125).

Once completed, the form can be submitted in person at the SEAM Office, or via SEAM’s online form.

Qualified students may request courses at the other divisions of JHU:

  • Peabody Conservatory (PY)
  • Bloomberg School of Public Health (PH)
  • Carey Business School (BU)
  • School of Education (ED)
  • School of Medicine (ME)
  • School of Nursing (NR)
  • School of Advanced International Studies (SA)
  • Advanced Academic Programs (AS)—part-time Arts & Sciences
  • Engineering for Professionals (EN)—part-time Engineering

As this is your home division, all inquiries and forms (including the IDR form or potential subsequent drop/withdrawal forms) must be brought to the Homewood Office of the Registrar. That said, you must follow the host (division you are taking a course) division’s deadlines for adding, dropping, or withdrawing from courses. Courses taken at other JHU divisions must be taken for a letter grade, unless the course is offered on an S/U basis only.

To avoid being declined for a course, please check the following before submitting your interdivisional course request:

  • Alerts—check your SIS account for any alerts. If you have a Financial, Heath Insurance, or Health and Wellness alert, your request will not be processed until the alert is cleared.
  • Prerequisites—check the course description for any prerequisites. If you have not fulfilled the prerequisite requirements, you must obtain the instructor’s permission (via signature or email) to enroll in the course. If requirements are not met, and approval has not been received, your request will be declined.
  • Approval Required—check the course description for any approval requirements. Approvals must be obtained and submitted with the IDR request or the request will be declined.
  • Course Status—students will be declined if a course section is full. If a section is full, you must submit a new interdivisional course request. To check the status of a section, search and the status (open or closed) is listed on the far right.