Qualified students may request to take courses at other divisions of the university by completing an Interdivisional Registration (IDR) form and obtaining the appropriate approvals. These forms are available in the Homewood Office of the Registrar (75 Garland Hall), Arts & Sciences Academic Advising (300 Garland Hall), and Engineering Academic Advising (103 Shaffer Hall). The yellow form is for Arts & Sciences students and the blue form is for Engineering students. Once completed, the form must be submitted in person at the Office of the Registrar.
Qualified students may request courses at the other divisions of JHU:
- Peabody Conservatory (PY)
- Bloomberg School of Public Health (PH)
- Carey Business School (BU)
- School of Education (ED)
- School of Medicine (ME)
- School of Nursing (NR)
- School of Advanced International Studies (SA)
- Advanced Academic Programs (AS)—part-time Arts & Sciences
- Engineering for Professionals (EN)—part-time Engineering
As this is your home division, all inquiries and forms (including the IDR form or potential subsequent drop/withdrawal forms) must be brought to the Homewood Office of the Registrar. That said, you must follow the host (division you are taking a course) division’s deadlines for adding, dropping, or withdrawing from courses. Courses taken at other JHU divisions must be taken for a letter grade, unless the course is offered on an S/U basis only.
To avoid being declined for a course, please check the following before submitting your interdivisional course request:
- Alerts—check your SIS account for any alerts. If you have a Financial, Heath Insurance, or Health and Wellness alert, your request will not be processed until the alert is cleared.
- Prerequisites—check the course description for any prerequisites. If you have not fulfilled the prerequisite requirements, you must obtain the instructor’s permission (via signature or email) to enroll in the course. If requirements are not met, and approval has not been received, your request will be declined.
- Approval Required—check the course description for any approval requirements. Approvals must be obtained and submitted with the IDR request or the request will be declined.
- Course Status—students will be declined if a course section is full. If a section is full, you must submit a new interdivisional course request. To check the status of a section, search sis.jhu.edu/classes and the status (open or closed) is listed on the far right.