Classroom Scheduling & Reservations
General Pool Classrooms
In case you missed it: Here are some communications sent to department coordinators from the Office of the Registrar-Homewood Schools.
Friday, October 28, 2022- PDF Document: OTR-Website Update
Tuesday, October 25, 2022- PDF Document: Intersession 2023 Proof Notification
Monday, November 21, 2022 – PDF Document: Summer 2023 Course Maintenance Open
Monday, December 19, 2022 – PDF Document: Fall 2023 Course Maintenance Open
Wednesday, January 26, 2022 – PDF Document: Summer 2023 Course Proof Notification
Wednesday, February 22, 2022 – PDF Document: Fall 2023 Course Proof
Here you will find the scheduling guidelines for the Office of the Registrar-Homewood Schools (KSAS & WSE).
Here you will find the production schedule for the Office of the Registrar-Homewood Schools (KSAS & WSE).
|Term Scheduling Begins||Summer Week 14||Summer Week 11||Fall Week 13||Fall Week 17||CLSS role opens. |
This is the first day an Academic Program Coordinator can begin to update the Schedule of Classes for their respective departments within CLSS.
|New Course Proposals and Catalogue Data Changes Due||Fall Week 7||Fall Week 3||Intersession Week 2||Spring Week 3||Faculty should submit new course proposals and/or catalogue edits to their department's Academic Program Coordinator who will complete the appropriate New Course Request Forms and Scheduling Change Request Forms.|
|Term Scheduling Ends||Fall Week 8||Fall Week 4||Intersession Week 3||Spring Week 4||CLSS role closes. |
This is the last day an Academic Program Coordinator can make updates to the Schedule of Classes for their respective departments within CLSS. The CLSS application is closed promptly on Friday at 4pm.
|Scheduling Proofs Distributed to Departments||Fall Week 9||Fall Week 5||Spring Week 1||Spring Week 5||A PDF draft of the upcoming term schedule is emailed to departments to review for edits or errors made when entering the data within CLSS. |
60% Prime Time scheduling allotments will also be reviewed during this time.
Final opportunity to identify sections needing enrollment restrictions and seat holds.
|Corrected Scheduling Proofs Returned from Departments||Fall Week 10||Fall Week 6||Spring Week 2||Spring Week 6||Edited proofs should be returned to the Office of the Registrar- Homewood Scheduling Team to ensure corrections and enrollment related information can be updated before publication.|
|Term Schedule is Published||Fall Week 13||Fall Week 9||Spring Week 5||Spring Week 9||The Schedule of Classes goes live for students to view and begin planning their registrations.|
|First date to Register - Seniors/Rising Seniors*||Fall Week 15||Fall Week 12||Spring Week 7||Spring Week 12|
|Graduate Registration||Fall Week 15||Fall Week 12||Spring Week 7||Spring Week 12|
|First date to Register - Juniors/Rising Juniors||Fall Week 15||Fall Week 12||Spring Week 7||Spring Week 12|
|First date to Register - Sophomores/Rising Sophomore||Fall Week 15||Fall Week 12||Spring Week 7||Spring Week 12|
|First date to Register - Freshmen/Incoming Freshmen||Fall Week 15||Fall Week 12||Spring Week 7||Summer Week 10|
|New Grads||N/A||N/A||N/A||Summer Week 10|
|New Transfers||N.A||N/A||N/A||Summer Week 9|
*Subject to change as needed
The General Pool Classrooms (GPC) are an inventory of resources on the Homewood campus administered by the Office of the Registrar – Homewood (OTR-HW). The classrooms primarily support the academic mission of the university – but also support student groups and events on campus. Scheduling priority is given to credit bearing courses and academic components associated with a course (such as exam times and review sessions), before department and student events. A list of the general pool classrooms and each room’s features can be found on a separate page on the Registrar’s website.
General pool classrooms are scheduled 8 am to 11 pm, 7 days a week.
General Pool Classroom Scheduling
- The general pool classrooms are under the provision of the Office of the Registrar – Homewood (OTR-HW) and are managed by the ASEN Scheduling Team.
- Homewood based degree programs have priority for GPC utilization.
- OTR-HW’s Scheduling Team will attempt to finalize scheduling Homewood Zanvyl Krieger Arts & Sciences (KSAS) and Whiting School of Engineering (WSE) degree courses in classrooms no later than two weeks before the start of any academic semester.
- Department and student events will be scheduled only after the majority of courses have been finalized, and on a space available basis.
- The Scheduling Team will make every effort to accommodate course and classroom assignment changes on a space available basis.
- OTR-HW must be compliant with ADA regulations. Room assignments may be made or altered to remain in compliance with ADA regulations as accommodations are identified.
- Whenever classrooms in the Homewood GPC inventory are taken offline due to renovation, utility failure, etc., the Scheduling Team will identify alternative available space and adjust the course room assignment as needed.
Academic Meeting Requests
Homewood Academic and Administrative Departments interested in requesting general pool classroom space for supplemental academic meetings directly tied to an academic course should fill out an Academic Meeting Request Form no less than 2 full business days before a room is needed, there is no exception process, and requests received outside of this timeframe will not be honored. No other participants besides students enrolled in the course should attend these meetings. Supplemental academic meetings are limited to:
- Make-up classes
- Tutoring sessions
- Thesis Defense, Board Examinations
- Exam and course material review sessions
- Project work space
- Exam breakout rooms
- Movie screenings
- TA/Faculty Office hours – these meetings will only be assigned to small classrooms as office hours by nature are intended to be of small faculty to student ratios – departments should first attempt to schedule office hours in department controlled space before submitting a request.
Requests will be evaluated on an individual basis and are limited to classroom availability; having a scheduled course in the term does not guarantee supplemental resources at desired times, nor in specific classrooms. An official TA, faculty member, or department staff member must be leading/be present at the requested meeting, and is responsible for activities taking place in the classroom.
Department Event Requests
Homewood Academic and Administrative Department Events may request the use of a general pool classrooms but must be submitted and processed through Scheduling & Event Services (S&ES) using the reservation request form. Department events include, but are not limited to:
- Guest speakers/seminars/presentations
- Career support/exploration
- Hosting/Co-hosting/collaborating with an outside organization
- Training sessions/workshops
- Community service projects
- Department social events
- Student recruiting events
Departments can look for classrooms by clicking “Find a Space;” however, utilization of this features does not guarantee final availability. This function is meant only to facilitate the preference of classroom desired for the event. Event request must be submitted no less than 10 business days if AV support is required, and no less than 4 business days if AV support is not required.
- Reservation requests are reviewed in chronological order as follows:
- First, by the date of the event, and
- Second, by the date the request was received.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in general pool classrooms. Food and beverages are permitted to be setup, served, and consumed in one of the three Hodson Lobbies only. Common hallways outside of GPCs may not be utilized for such purposes.
- All department event requests are subject to the policies outlined on S&ES’s website.
- Reservations and contracts will be managed through S&ES. Event cancellations and amendments should be coordinated through that office. The OTR-HW Scheduling Team will no longer be coordinating event request directly with individual departments or offices.
Important Planning Details
- Food and beverages are not permitted in general pool classrooms.
- Departments which reserve GPCs should remember that the expectation is rooms will be returned to their “class ready” state, meaning that:
- Furniture is set back in its proper place.
- All trash is removed and the space is left clean.
- No additional furniture should be added to a room, and no furniture should be removed from the room.
- The OTR-HW Scheduling Team does not arrange any additional services for events.
- Scheduled events requiring AV technical support, custodial, and/or security services may incur charges.
- Large campus events can limit how much space is available for other events to take place – please consider having alternate dates and times your event can be held should it coincide with such an event.
Guidelines Effective Spring 2012