Looking for a new challenge? Join us on a whitewater kayaking program! We paddle on various rivers and creeks in Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia. If you’ve never been whitewater kayaking before or want to get back into a boat, beginner trips are great choice. Those who have been on a kayaking trip with us before and are looking for a new challenge are encouraged to sign up for an intermediate trip.
- You must attend a minimum of two kayaking clinics in the Athletic Center Pool.
- Kayaking clinics are every Thursday and the Friday before your trip from 7:30-9:30 p.m.
- Attend the pre-trip meeting. Your instructor will email you with pre-trip information.
- Complete all required paperwork (See “Forms and Waivers”).
- To go on an intermediate whitewater kayaking trip, you must have attended a beginner trip.
- Meet the Essential Eligibility Criteria for the trip:
- Breathe independently (i.e. does not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
- Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
- Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
- Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
- Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
- Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket
- Get in/out of a paddlecraft independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Independently get out and from underneath a capsized paddlecraft
How to Register
Outdoor trips are open to anyone affiliated with Johns Hopkins University including Hopkins students, staff, and faculty.
To register for a trip please do the following:
- View the upcoming trips on our ticket webpage hopoutdoors.universitytickets.com. Payment is accepted via cash, credit card or check and can be made online or in-person at the Experiential Education Base Camp behind the Ralph S. O’Connor Recreation Center on the Homewood Campus.
- After payment has been received and processed, you will receive a confirmation email. Attached to that email will include any forms you may have to fill out and return the Wednesday before you leave on your trip.
- Contact Experiential Education with any questions regarding your trip, registration information, payment options or with any concerns. We are open 4 to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 2 to 5 p.m. Friday’s during the semester and can be reached at 410-516-4417 or email@example.com.
- The week of your trip you will be notified by the instructors. Attend the mandatory pre-trip meeting the week of your trip to get the details on your trip. Your instructors will email you with the time, date and location of the meeting.
If you are not able to go on a trip, you may cancel no later than seven days prior to the date of your trip to receive a refund. If you do not cancel your spot a week before the date of your trip, you will not receive a refund. If a trip is canceled due to weather or any other unforeseen circumstances, you will be notified as soon as possible and will receive a full refund.
You will be able to purchase one participant spot per trip online. If you have a friend that wants to come along they will have to purchase their own spot. Please be considerate of others that may want to go on a trip and purchase what you know you will be able to attend.
- Transportation (you must take the provided JHU transportation)
- Activity-specific equipment
- Basic instruction and coaching
What’s Not Included
- Meals (unless it is an overnight trip)
- Personal clothing for the activity
Forms and Waivers
To participate in an outdoor trip you are required to complete a medical form and trip waiver.
Once your order is processed, you will receive an email with any necessary paperwork. Please download and print the required paperwork for your trip and return it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person at our office. Forms and waivers must be completed and returned by 5 p.m. EST on the Wednesday before your trip. After hours, please leave your paperwork in the office door dropbox. If you do not turn in your paperwork by 5 p.m. EST the Wednesday before your trip, you will be removed from the trip without a refund.
If you have already attended a trip this academic year you do not need to fill out a new medical form and instead need to stop by the Experiential Education Base Camp and resign your form, confirming that no information on your medical form has changed since last attending a trip. You must fill out a waiver for every type of trip you attend once a year.
What to Bring
- Synthetic t-shirt
- Synthetic shorts or pants
- Closed-toe water shoes (old sneakers work great)
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Hat with brim
- Change of clothing for the drive home
Additional Clothing (for Cold Weather Day Trips)
- Long sleeve synthetic shirt
- Long underwear tops and bottoms
- Medium/Heavyweight wool or fleece sweater
- Wool Socks
- Pair of synthetic gloves (to help keep your hands warm)
- Wool hat or beanie
- Two 1-liter water bottles
- Sunscreen/lip balm
- Sunglasses with lanyard
- Extra glasses and/or contacts
- Medication in waterproof bags
- Nose plugs (optional)
- Camera (optional)
- Lunch (plus any snacks, granola bars, cookies, etc.)
- Splash jacket
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)