Opened in spring 2002, the Ralph S. O’Connor Recreation Center is a 63,000-square-foot facility located at the North Gate of the Johns Hopkins University Homewood Campus. The center serves undergraduate and graduate students with memberships also available for purchase to the JHU community and JHU affiliates. Learn more about the center’s namesake, Ralph S. O’ Connor.
The O’Connor Recreation Center features a variety of state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, including:
- 20-foot artificial bouldering space
- Features a variety of routes for climbers of all levels
Learn more about the bouldering wall, including hours of operation.
- 30-foot artificial climbing wall
- Designed by Leading Edge Climbing Walls
- Features a variety of routes for climbers of all levels
- Belay certifications available
Learn more about the climbing wall, including hours of operation.
- The fitness room is a 3,400-square-foot space with a variety of cardio equipment including treadmills, upright, recumbent & spin bikes, elliptical trainers and lateral trainers, light free weights, and a line of resistance training equipment.
- The weight room is a 3,200-square-foot space featuring 6 lifting platforms, free weights, kettlebells, and iso-lateral resistance training equipment.
- 18,000-square-foot finished maplewood floor activity space
- Various configurations provide space for up to 3 basketball courts, 5 volleyball courts, and/or 3 badminton courts
- Serves as host to various large on-campus events including career fairs, student activity fairs, banquets, concerts, and other university-sponsored programs/events
- Located around Homewood Field
- A single lane rubber padded walking/jogging track
- The facility offers JHU faculty and staff, as well as surrounding community members, a track for early walks or laps at lunch
- Please note that the track is closed during all varsity athletic competitions
- 3 lane, 1/10 mile indoor jogging track
- Features a stretch area and cardio equipment off of the track to provide additional workout space
- Rental lockers and day use lockers are available
- Men’s and women’s general lock rooms are available to all Recreation Center members
- Men’s and women’s faculty locker rooms are available to non-student Recreation Center members and have card-controlled access
- A family changing room is available to members with children (during family swim) and disabilities
For locker rental prices and more information, visit the Memberships and Services page.
- 300-square-feet of padded wall and floor space to accommodate student martial arts and combative groups
- 2,800-square-foot finished maplewood floor activity space where the majority of our group fitness classes are held
- Ability to function as two separate rooms for fitness and practice space for student organizations or one large room for special events & receptions
- Two floor-to-ceiling windowed walls in Evans East provide a panoramic view of the beautiful Homewood campus
- Located behind the O’Connor Recreation Center
- Features a picnic tables and shade trees for events, athletic tailgates, and cook-outs
- Outdoor picnic area is available to the JHU community by reservation
- Six lane, 25-yard lap lane pool with depths from 4 ft. to 5.5 ft.
- 1,800-square-foot separated deep water well with depths 8 ft. to 13 ft.
- Home to JHU Varsity Swimming and Water Polo
Learn more about our aquatics facilities, including hours of operation.
- Located next to the O’Connor Recreation Center
- 70,000-square-foot fully-lighted synthetic athletic turf
- Serves JHU athletics, intramural sports, sports clubs, and student organizations
- The practice field is open to the JHU community during posted open recreation hours
- Two separate glass-walled finished maplewood racquetball courts, including the Davis Family Court
- Two separate glass-walled bare wood squash courts
- Two stretching areas (upstairs stretch area is located outside the fitness room and the downstairs stretch area is located outside the weight room)
- Features stretching mats, foam rollers, and other fitness accessories
- Located on the northwest corner of the Homewood Campus
- Tennis complex features six courts and is home to JHU varsity tennis
- Tennis courts are available to the JHU community on a first-come, first-served basis
- The courts will open March 1, 2018 weather pending
- During the Fall and Spring semesters, the tennis courts are open Monday–Thursday from 9 a.m.–10:00 p.m. and Friday, Saturday, Sunday from 10 a.m.– 8:00 p.m.
- During the Summer and breaks the tennis courts are open weekly from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. unless the recreation center is closed
- Tennis court lights will only be active 15 minutes before courts close
- Tennis courts are closed from dusk to dawn and during all varsity tennis practices/competitions
- Please direct any questions regarding tennis court policies to Brandon Holley at email@example.com
Striving for Sustainability
The O’Connor Recreation Center strives to be environmentally sustainable.
- With nearly 1,400 panels, the solar array on the Recreation and Athletic Center roofs is the largest of the seven Hopkins solar installations. The array produces 450,000 kWh or clean electricity yearly — enough to power an average home 41 times over!
- The arrays also reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The Recreation and Athletic Center array eliminates the emissions of over 600,000 pounds of greenhouse gases per year.
- The two water refilling stations provide exceptionally clean, filtered water and eliminate the need to buy plastic disposable water bottles. Water Refilling stations are located in the Track Stretching Area and outside the Evans Multipurpose Room.
- Recycling and compost bins are located throughout the facility.